Wwjd?

What would Heffe do?

This summer I was put onto a listing for miniRambos being sold local and cheap. Me, being a guy that’ll go broke saving money picked up two of them. I set them in my shop and promptly forgot about them. I’m now sitting in my truck waiting for some ice blocks to be delivered (two hours ago) so my mind has been idle. Never a good scenario.

What would YOU do if you had two spare minis sitting around? I’ve already got an MPCNC, two in fact…one laser, one spindle. Have a board already set aside for the ZenXY and have an MP3DP running (although I WOULD consider building a second). I truly bought them as “spares” but it seems a shame to have them and not be doing anything with them.

1 Like

Shoot…What I am hearing is you have time for another project. Use Jamie’s joystick and make a claw game! then use Heffe’s v1pi to secretly control it when the kids wanna try!

I have a spare one myself. My problem is, I like trying new controllers. Although I will probably keep mine around to use as a test bed of sorts. I like the idea of another mp3dp, or a test spare for new features like a joystick. If you have a mini rambo, 3D printer and a cnc machine, it really doesn’t cost much to make a new printer. Do you know any kids that could use a printer to learn on? Maybe a friendly neighbor?

You could also try a new type of printer, like one of the hypercube variants, or something. I honestly don’t keep up with that stuff well anymore.

I plan to use my extra board to control the lighting in my cabinets located in the living room. My wife owns about 70 Disney Globes and the shelves are dark. It is my hope that the project turns out very simple. I just want a set of lights that will respond to an analog output I believe and a web interface so she can adjust it with her tablet. Good luck. I have also thought about setting up the sprinkler system with one. But water can be expensive an error is programmed into the board. At least here in vegas.

I want to try to build something based on the core XY. Not sure what. Not sure why but I want to. Maybe a dedicated laser engraver. I don’t know.

At one point I wanted to build an SLS 3D printer. I still think that would be a fun project. The tricky part would be designing two pistons that wouldn’t leak plastic dust/powder around the edges. But that would be so cool to be able to print using nylon powder and no supports.

Oh wow…you’re reading my mind…I hope to have a claw game built and ready for next halloween!

Freaky.

I would love to build a portable machine with a 20x20 work area. Something like a low rider maybe suitable provided I can devise a portable rail system. I imagine the scaffolding world has many options in this regard. Even better if I could beef something up to run vertically. I’m thinking of ice walls…set the ice up, attach the machine and presto! all the logos or artwork magically appear. Move to the next 20 X 20 area and run the next file etc. I have a camera slider that has no problem with dead vertical lifts so I’m sure it’s ‘simply’ a matter of stronger steppers. Lol

Someday I want to build a mobile platform with robot arm and medium/large size and strength. Dead reckoning and open loop control of the arm would have awful accuracy so some method of optical or cable position measurement is used for closed-loop position and orientation control of the end effector.

Then I strap a chainsaw to the robot arm and I take Kelly’s job.

1 Like

Wwbsd…

In no particular order

1. plasma cutter mpcnc
  2. 4th axis mpcnc ?
  3. maybe the head cold and lack of sleep, but did I miss out on low rider?
  4. core xy 3D printer?
  5. mpcnc with a 3D print head where the x and y if the bed can rotate on steppers allowing bit non linear 3D printing.
1 Like

This guy has an esp8266 inside. It can be programmed by Sonoff Tasmota. It can only do on or off, but I have one for my fish tank light. The stock software is wifi enabled too, but I don’t like installing random apps.

https://www.amazon.com/50050-Indoor-Grounded-Outlet-White/dp/B00ZYLRQNE

You need a uart module to program it.

Jamie died the way he lived. Building machines that others would say, “why?” or “how?” or “awesome”. Ultimately, the question should have been, “How far can it reach?”

2 Likes

The zenxy is a corexy.

2 Likes

Send one to me :slight_smile:

My MPCNC is still running an old Ramps board without dual endstops.