X Rail length

How exact does this need to be? I guess what I mean is can my X Rails be about an inch longer than what the calculator tells me they should be? I know they cant be shorter but unsure if the opposite is true.

Thanks

Not at all it’s purely cosmetic. Some even build them with much longer rails while bootstrapping a table.

If you have the space around your machine to do so, I would actually recommend leaving an inch or so of rail sticking out each way on your axes. A lot of upgrades, add-ons, and accessories you will come across often require some type of mounting to the end of rails. There have been a few instances where I wish I had some extra sticking out.

Thank you guys I appreciate the advice. One final thing. If I want to order the angle iron as well to keep things tidy, should I make it the same length as my x-axis rods?

1 Like

Im not sure if im familar with using angle iron on the machine, other than I often see one strip of angle on the Y axis gantry rail to provide a support for cable chain to the z axis motor, spindle, etc. Where else would you be putting it?

No thats it. I just wasnt sure how it sat on top and whether it needed to be exact. I’ve started assembly of my LR2 now so I have seen it doesn’t need to be perfect