X & Y Home limited travel

Hi All,

My MPCNC is roughly 48" X 30". I like to start from a known reference so I usually do an X & Y Home before setting further params. Why does the Home only travel a fixed distance? I haven’t measured the length of travel but I’d guess either axis will move 20’ or so and then stop. I often have to home twice on the Y axis and three times on the X before I can get to my limit switches for XY zero. Is this a feature or a bug?

Thx in advance,

Gary

It is sort of a failsafe that limits how far an axis will be moved while searching for home. It is tied to the bed size in Marlin. You can change the value to something other than the default (200mm IIRC) and reprogram your controller if you want it to move further.

2 Likes

If you don’t want to mess with the settings, just pull the gantry closer to X&Y zero before you issue the home command.

Mike, Ha! Yeh I do pull the gantry close. I was mostly just curious. Ryan just confirmed what I already suspected. The info on marlin’s parameters is useful. At some point I’ll dig into the Marlin stuff… for now I am just trying to figure out what I want to do with the CNC. I plan ultimately to build a guitar body, neck & fingerboard. For now I just want to put around and make some small stuff. I am still fighting with Fusion 360 CAM!

Check out Lars Christensen on youtube. He has some really good tutorials for fusion 360.