Y1 Motor grinds

My Y1 stepper will travel out 700mm and start to skip and not be in sync with the Y2 stepper. Does not do it all the time so is this a speed issue? Also when I auto home x or y all the steppers will skip and move slowly. My CNC is Primo using the Archim 1.0 and its 4’x4’. I did update the firmware so I am assuming the speed is preset? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

I would start by making sure you have good free movement of the trucks. Then check your belt tension and grub screws. followed by making sure everything is starting square. Then check the current to each motor. If you need more info on any of those checks let us know and we can help you through it.

1 Like

The grinding sound is the stepper skipping steps. It is non-destructive, but it sounds horrible. I remember checking my belts to make sure they were not damaged the first time I heard that noise. The most common reason for skipped steps is loose grub screws holding the pullies to the stepper shaft. The fact that it happens at certain positions suggests that the stepper is working harder at those positions, so even if the issue turns out to be grub screws, you may want to check the other items on Atom’s list to make sure nothing is binding.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you!

New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip (3.1 MB) Thank you all for the help! It was a end stop issue so what I did was ran dedicated wire from switch and terminated to the board. CNC works great! My gantry has a wiggle but I don’t notice it when its running. Is that normal?