YAAB (Yet another Aussie build)

Greetings,
Several years ago I purchased a chinese 3018 “engraver”. Build quality was terrible, I spent more time fixing it than using it. Now the motor clamp has broken due to very poor 3D printed part. As mine is a clone, even the X axis rails are not spaced as per the original open source standard.
My choice was either spend $100 to but a new Z axis setup, or…
I am in the process of printing the core, it should be finished tonight. I already have a Ramps 1.4 board and display, a Ryobi trim router and several 3D printers.
My out of pocket will be the motors, hardware, belts and bearings. I will have a better quality machine for about the same money.

It will be a slow build, as money allows. For now, print, print, print.
Thanks for having me aboard.
Cheers
Chris

3 Likes

Welcome, always good to see another Aussie around.

Good to see another Aussie tackling this. I’ll be keen to watch along.

We could have a convention! :smiley:

I started trial assembly of what parts I have, I found 1/2 a tube of 6082RS that was left over from previous projects, I grabbed a 4 pack of M8x40 bolts and lock nuts from Bunnings, just as a trial, I will bulk buy the rest. I fitted the M8 bolts into all the holes as a test, I had no problems with the holes that had a shoulder on one side, I think they are for the cross braces, but the 4 holes for the embedded bearings for the Z axis, I had to put the 8mm drill bit through them to get the bolt to fit. Is this a common thing, or do I have dimensional accuracy issues? I printed the advanced test piece, the 140 and 150mm pieces checked out to 0.4mm and the 8mm drill was a snug fit (but the shank went in) in the test holes. Same story with the M5 holes.
Should I worry?
Cheers
Chris

After watching Eli Works’ video on core assembly (https://youtu.be/PABOe8LUJkU) I am relieved to find out that I am not alone. His 4 trapped bearings needed to be persuaded to “drop” into where they needed to be, and he had the same issue with those bolt holes.
Well that is a relief.
Just keep printing.
Here is the result so far.

Chris

1 Like