YouTube videos

I was wondering if members have videos on builds and other MPCNC topics.
I seem to learn better by watching than reading.

Being an impulsive sort of guy, I bought my burly kit last spring and I’m embarrassed to admit that it’s still in the box, unopened.
Life got in the way a little and then had doubts about my ability to do this.
I’m a bit of a technodunce.
And blond, senile with ADHD

I’m sure I can handle the mechanical part of the build but am a little nervous about the electronic stuff.

If you do have videos, I’d appreciate links to your channels.

Thank you

I haven’t seen any videos of recent versions.

But I know you can do it Larry, the electronics look more complicated than they are.

2 Likes

You have more confidence in me than I have, Jeffeb3.

I do know there are a lot of great, helpful people here.

1 Like

There are several videos out there of the burly build . Just search for MPCNC build.

1 Like

I’ve watched a ton of them.
Was wondering if any were from people on this forum.
Thanks

I have videos out there, but I don’t think I did any on the build itself. Sorry.

I do have some videos on troubleshooting the Z axis wobbling on my machine.

Well we are all eager to help, so get building! If you get stuck let us know and we’ll see who gets to you first!

1 Like

Let me put your mind at rest on the electronics.

Big wires are from the power supply and go to screw terminals. If there’s a little barrel connector in your kit, @vicious1 says to throw it away and just strip the wires coming from the power supply.

Small wires are already assembled into modular plugs.

• Four-pin plugs are for motors, and there are only 5 of them. Just don’t plug or unplug any of them while power is applied and nothing bad can happen.
  • Two pin plugs are for endstops and they’re completely optional.
  • Ten-pin plugs (ribbon cables) are for the controller screen, and you can’t do any damage plugging them in the wrong way.

You can definitely take it a step at a time and get help as you go here on the forums. Get some success under your belt with the mechanical bits and we’ll all help you over the finish line when it comes to wiring.

That sounds pretty straightforward.
Possibly simple enough even I can do it.

Since I plan to use it in my unheated garage, does it make sense to build it on a board in my warm basement and carry the finished product out to my table and screw that board to my table top?

Don’t overthink it. You can easily triple the effort by worrying about details. If you think you can carry it upright, then build it inside, but most likely, you’ll want to do it closer to the garage. Maybe just take over the coffee table for a day and wherever you get, you can move it outside at the end of the day.

1 Like

I like how the advice was, “don’t overthink it” and then, “here’s how I would overthink it”

:man_facepalming:

2 Likes

At least it was still useable advice… It’s Not like you recommended he mount it on a board lowered from the ceiling or something.

2 Likes

My build is 25" by 37" working area, and I assembled it in a different room than I am using it in. The base is 40" by 49". I did have help moving it from the room it was built in to the room I use it in, but it wasn’t difficult to carry.

Edit: as for wiring, I’ve put together kids’ Christmas toys that were more difficult to wire correctly. It’s not that hard, just don’t be shy about asking questions.

1 Like

Thanks for the input, Dan.
I’ll trust your wiring analogy at least until I try it.
:grinning:

Electronics and boards and that kind of things that scare the heck out of me

After a year of reading, I still have no idea about things like arduinos or pi.

I know the mathematical pi and apple, pumpkin, cherry, etc.

2 Likes

Mine is mounted to a piece of 1/2" plywood which is clamped to a counter in my shop. I’d work where you’re comfortable then move it to the operational location.

1 Like