Z Axis Calibration

Now I face milling my sacrificial plate (I hope google translator is right ).

I have the problem that my z axis is not exactly vertical. I is out of an angle.
Now one side of the tool cuts 0.1mm deeper then the other side.

How can I calibrate the z axis in the vertical direction?

Thank you.

I had this problem with my previous MPCNC (Burly). Generally, it is solved by shimming the router. I created my shims from pieces of an aluminum cat food can.

I recommend you do the following:

• Measure the legs (or the distance under the rails) to make sure they are all the same length. See the ‘Leveling’ section of this page.

• Push and twist the Z axis to make sure it is tight.

• Verify the base board is on a flat surface and is not bowed or twisted from that surface.

The previous three steps will reduce or eliminate “external” sources that might be causing your router not to be parallel to the spoil board.

• Do a light face milling of the spoil board. “Sacrificial plate” is a decent translation, but it is mostly referred to by “spoil board.” The facing doesn’t have to reach all sections of the spoil board. You just need an area that has been faces. This step is necessary since twists, bows, or swells in the spoil board could be the cause of the router/bit not being parallel.

• Attach a tramming arm to your router. Here is a link to a tramming arm on Thingiverse. There are other tramming arms on Thingiverse as well. You don’t need one with a gauge. You just need a simple arm that amplifies the tilt.

• Using the tramming arm for reference, insert shims between the router and the mount to correct for any tilt.

• After getting parallel, face mill your spoil board again.

Thank you.
That helped a lot.