Z axis disables during Operation

Hello I have been having this issue with just the Z axis. It seems to disable, I can twist the lead screw by hand. Restart button does not fix the issue, I have to shut off the power supply to get it to work again. It happens at random times, sometimes within 5 minutes. This time it ran for 3 hours. I’ve replaced the stepper motor and rewired all the steppers with shielded cable. I’m using a skr v1.4 turbo and tmc5160 drivers in spi mode. Sensorless homing. Tmc debug does not give any errors. Any help would be appreciated. ! Picture of the wiring and in the wood where the z stopped working and was falling down during x/y movements.
image|320x240 image

I’ve experienced this in a case when my Z driver was overheating. Could that be the case? Have you checked the voltage on that driver?

Yvan thanks for the reply. I havnt physically check the voltage. But there 84oz 2a nema 17’s and I have the voltage rsense at .75 and voltage at 1.2 (1200) the motors are a little warmer than room temp. Only the Z disables.

Could this be down to #define DEFAULT_STEPPER_DEACTIVE_TIME 120 in configuration_adv.h?

I don’t know about an skr1.4 or whether it applies to TMC5160 drivers but in the Marlin 2.0 I have at line 749 this sets the timeout for the 3 axis’ at 120 seconds since the last movement of a particular axis… It might appear to be a random timeout but it only appears that way …it depends on how often you have a Z move instruction!

You could send M18 Z S0 before your job to find out before messing with the firmware.

Thanks for the reply, it is set to 120 seconds. The DISABLE_INACTIVE_Z false. I assume that overrides it but I will set the timer to zero and see if that helps.

M18 z will disable the stepper what will s0 do?

When M18 uses the S parameter, it sets the inactivity timeout. I’m out of town and cannot test it, but I assume that using the M18 command with an S0 as Yvan suggests will leave the steppers enabled and turn off the inactivity timeout. See reference.

Ok, I’ll try that. I set the timer to zero in the firmware and will give that long program a try again in the next few day’s

I have trie led all the suggestions and still getting a stepper shutting down. I’ve replaced everything except the skr 1.4turbo. I guess that’s next?

1. The steppers won’t be enabled when you start marlin. They will be enabled as soon as you send any motion on that axis.
  2. If you accidentally sent M18 or M84, they would disable, but just until you sent another movement command.
  3. If you sit idle for a long period of time, they will timeout and disable, but enable again when you send another move command.

So if it is disabling and not recovering, then you might have an issue with your driver.

The tmcs are pretty slick though and they will report their status. M122 will send you all kinds of debug info. If these were drv8825s, I would say it sounds like they were overheating.

Another possibility is that the coupler is loose and your grub screw needs to be tightened.

Or it could be a wiring issues.

M122 shows no errors when the stepper is deactivated. I swapped the drivers around and the steppers, problem stays with the z. Tmc 5160 drivers on 24v 600w power supply. I just left the machine turned on all night to keep my offsets for this morning and all the steppers are still engaged. I scrapped 2 pieces of pine yesterday because of the z disengaging during a 20 min program but I ran the same program 7 times the day before. Nothing is getting hot but I thought the same thing that maybe it’s overheating. I took my box apart and put a fan directly on the z stepped, and was able to finish yesterday. Don’t know if that helped or what. I was fine the day before.

Very strange. I haven’t seen that.

Have you swapped the cables? Maybe a connector is loose, or comes loose when it heats up?

I replaced the eBay bought extensions with 18ga 4 strand shielded cable all the way to 2” away from the motor. Crimped and tinned the jst connectors. I ran yesterday the same 20 minute program that was failing 2days ago 3 times and ran it manually to trim edges for several hours with no problems…
Only change was setting the 40mm fan on top of the z heat sink. That wasn’t hot to begin with… I’m still open to suggestions, I’m positive I haven’t solved the issue. It’s gonna pop up on some expensive material and really make me mad.