Z-Axis during travel

Ok so hoping this will be a simple thing to get an issue resolved. Even if only a temp fix.

So sometimes if my stock is a little less than flat, my end mill will dig a very slight (almost not even noticeable) groove into the part of the wood that’s bowed the most.

Is there a way, to increase the z axis lift during travel? I feel like that’s the clearance plane setting in estlcam that is set to 2mm right? If I change that to say… 4mm would it lift higher on travel?

I also know my table needs to be leveled again as I moved it, but didn’t recheck it after my first cuts. And I didn’t realize MDF could ‘bow’ but it sure does. The last piece I cut was bowed right down the middle. The exact amount that the mill dug into the wood on the travel lol…

1 Like

Yep. That’s right. 5, 10mm are totally fine. If you make it very large, it will take longer (Z is slower) and you definitely don’t want to go so high the Z falls apart.

But going to 10mm does not really change things much timewise vs the age of the planet and as we have to self isolate now a bit of Z time won’t hurt…

4 Likes

LMFAO I laughed out loud…

1 Like

Well, it’s going to be a funny year I reckon. Might as well laugh about it all. I am in pharmacy and if I don’t get it, it will be a miracle.

Z axis lift is in the setup of the Estlecam basic settings Clearance Plane. (look at me giving advice out now). Well that is what I think the answer is old mate.

For what it is worth, I reckon there should be a page for non computer programmer “baby boomers” with people putting up their stuff ups and how to avoid them. “ie the top 10 things I did not understand or get until someone kindly pointed it out to me.”

R

4 Likes

Ok that’s exactly what I thought that meant. Thank you all for helping me confirm that.

@Robertblackburn be safe man, stay healthy. It’s scary times right now for sure. Take every precaution, and once you’ve done that, do them all again 3 more times. Just be safe man!