Z axis is going up, up, up

z axis, the z axis toward the end (about 30 seconds left) of the cut, (machine time?) the z axis started lifting up.
Tried again this AM and almost immediately the z axis starts lifting. BUT, the controller is convinced that z is at -1.59mm.
https://youtu.be/xPHsfdOqE8c

G code is too big to post here.
I looked at the g code and there is nothing out of the ordinary. I have not changed any settings in Repetier.
Honestly, I am not even sure where to start diagnosing…
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Andrew

p.s. The machine is all V1 spec running stock feeds and speeds.

Just messing with the machine trying to reset and now the Z does not come down.
https://youtu.be/wGR-UwF7llM
All connections look good.
It did go down before I ran the program.

So confusing.

AND I just commanded a z home and then the z did come down…

I doubt this is the problem, but… I know that if you “home” one of the axis (Z in this case) Marlin will no longer allow you to move into the negative coordinate space of that axis. So perhaps (although admittedly this is just a bunch of speculation!) could you have homed-Z and have the Z-min configured so that it’s always triggered? If that were the case, homing would just stop where it was, this is now 0 from Marlin’s perspective and any attempts to go negative will decrease the coordinate but not actually move the axis…

M119 will show whether your controller thinks the endstops are TRIGGERED or not.

Note - I seriously doubt this is the issue, just throwing it out as something to check while waiting for the real gurus to show up and point out the problem :slight_smile:

cross-post – sounds like you were already checking this… Best of luck tracking down the issue. One thing I’m certain of, it’s going to end up being something simple!

That is the min endstop behavior, and in Ryan’s firmware is only enabled for X and Y.

But why is it lifting?

IDK. It doesn’t look/sound like it it skipping steps, but I don’t know why it would be even trying to go up but not down, while it thinks it is negative. What controller is it and what firmware?

Jeff,
The skipping is it not being allowed to go up because of the vise-grips.
I am satisfied that not going down is from when I re-start when it moves up.

Controller is RAMBo 1.4. How do I find firmware version?

If you bought it from Ryan, then the main question is if it is dual endstops or not. But you can find the version if you connect from repetier host.

I can see it is skipping going up. It doesn’t seem like it is skipping going down. Which makes me think that it is trying to go up, but not down.

If it was a zmin softstop problem, I would expect it to not allow you to change the number on the lcd to go negative.

The fact that the screen shows the value getting smaller but the motor isn’t makes me think it is a driver. But the rambo has really robust drivers… So I am short on ideas.

You can try changing the Z wires and motor to another axis and see if it follows the wiring or the driver.

So it is fixed. And by fixed I had my friends who are both retired navy aircraft mechanics. One did helicopters and one did Tomcats. (yes, the F14 Tomcat.) And the Tomcat Mechanic had some stern words for the MPCNC and what do you know, it has been cooperating ever since!

I don’t know if it was the Navy or threatening an air strike but we are in good shape!

Thank you all for your help!

Andrew

5 Likes

Hi Andrew,
Please explain how you solved it, i have your same problem.
Thank you so much!!!

Giovanni

Giovanni,
Really and truly I am not being a smart alek. CNC machines can be beyond frustrating. They have a mind of their own. (currently I am printing a part and I am on my 6th attempt!)
My friend stood in front of the machine had a few strong words with it and it has been cooperating ever since.
So old retired friends, preferably Navy seamen.

Maybe watch Topgun again then go have a talk to the MPCNC?

Good luck!

Andrew

Or, make a new topic, and explain your issue in detail. Helpful information includes:

Background:

Pic of the machine, what controller do you have, where did you get it?

What you tried.

What you expected

What happened. Pictures might be helpful here too.

1 Like