Z axis isn't strong enough

I’t running SKR1.4 with 2209 drivers. My Z axis is struggling and can’t raise up. When I plug the Z axis motors into the Y axis drivers it works fine. I’ve tried playing around will all the settings but can’t make it work. ie jerk, acceleration, driver current. I’m assuming it’s a Marlin issue but can find how to increase the power to my z axis drivers. I’m testing using prontoface if that’s the issue? here is my video of the Y drivers working on my z axis. https://photos.app.goo.gl/pG1Pjj6sijW2tML49

Your Z motors are wired in series, right?

Yeah they move for the first 20mm off the table but after only one side can continue. I think there is a little more resistance on that side but just a little more power will do it

I had the exact same problem. Make sure that the “sticky” side is not bound up. This is most likely the case. To tell, the best we could do was to look at the z-axis screw rod. Note that the one that works is most likely perpendicular to the above bars and such. The one that binds up is most likely not nearly as perpendicular, it may even look bent. It is not. Look at the coupler between the bound side stepper motor and screw rod. There is probably a bend/kind in it as it rotates - especially when it binds. This was a real pain to find. I have not totally gotten away from the issue when the power is cut to the steppers. The left side of the Lowrider 2 quickly freewheels its way down, while the right side sticks where it is at. It is a really pain to manually thumb on the stepper to rod coupler to manually sync up the height of the machine. However, the machine no longer binds. Loosen things up a bit on the problematic side to let things reseat themselves to remove the telltale kink in the stepper to rod coupler. It is not super easy to see the binding issue by looking at the carrier plate (not sure of proper term - the wood piece that holds most of the geat together)

**Also make sure that the two side plates squeeze in tightly and pinch into the table by being very tight by rubbing. This helped prevent shifting of the lowrider on the table when what I call my x-axis stepper works to roll the router over the bars. This leads to major headaches.

If you are using the Dewalt 611 - do yourself a favor and order the collet for the 1/8 bit. V1 sells them and they are cheaper than the only other alternative I found. The smaller 1/8th bits should produce less tension on the system as compared with a 1/4 inch bit.

If someone knows how to level the two z-sides automatically I would love to hear about it.

My table is as square as I need for Z. The two Z sides always end up down all the way on machine. Before I power up the motors, I twist each leadscrew about a half turn to let the LR lift up and settle down naturally again against the table. Then I move it up, and keep it up, ao it doesn’t stretch the couplers.

Thanks I’ll give it a try I think this may help.

Looks to have been the software prontoface. when I load Repeater hosts the motors work fine.

1 Like

I actually found that you need to adjust the current in Marlin too for TMC2209’s this helped alot.

hope someone can help I have 2 problems lcd screen says TMC Error. I’m able to move all Axis Z won’t raise until I’m about 100mm from bed. Any and all help much appreciated Thanks Jerry

Can you start a new thread?

so how do you do that?

1 Like

You can adjust the current with M906: