Z Axis Issue

Has anyone ran into any problems with putting together the z motor plate and z lower plate? I’m having issues with the lead screw not physically being in line with the shaft of the stepper motor. I can put the lead screw in the coupler, when I slide the lower plate up to the coupler, it immediately pulls to one side and is not parallel to the z bars. I have messed around with it enough trying to fudge things in the right direction until I have cracked both plates on one of the tightening points. Bummer since I don’t have a 3d printer and ordered the parts from here. I have emailed Ryan just to see if I can order a couple new printed plates, still waiting to hear from him. Just wanted to put it up here to see if anyone else has had this problem or has any suggestions.

Thanks,
Andy

I replied to your email before I saw this, still pretty early in California.

I would love to see some pictures. Without a coupler on did they line up? Are your z rails parallel if you lay them on a flat surface?

Here are some pictures…you can see exactly what’s going on with the coupler off. What it is showing with the coupler off, is directly translated to what happens when you put it together. Seems odd, please correct me if you see something I can’t! The z rails are nice and parallel. Ryan I emailed you as well.

Thanks,

Andy

If you measure the distance between the two plates at various points are they the same distance, parallel?

Is the bearing seated all the way and straight? If your lead screw went on the lead screw really tight it might just be crooked, you can sand or file the top of the lead screw a bit to loosen it up.

What parts are broken?

The plates are parallel to each other that’s the first thing I checked. The bearing is also seated properly. One observation is that the recess for the bearing is not a tight fit. It’s a slide in fit, but you can push it in and out with your fingers with a little pressure. I don’t really see that as to much of a problem because I think it would still hold the outside of the bearing just fine. Just a observation. I will definitely try to sand the end of the lead screw, but i honestly don’t think that’s the issue. I have been wrong before though! Lol…each plate is cracked at one of the bolt together points. It’s no ones fault they cracked but mine!..don’t care to pay for them I would just like to get another set coming. Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it.

Andy

I ran into a similar issue with mine as well. However mine is that it tapers closer to the z rails the further down it goes. However when you rotate the couple and lead screw it turns true. I tried fitting it multiple times in different manners with the same result. I dont think it is going to effect much on mine since it does turn true. It will just put a constant pressure on the brass piece. It still turns easy enough by hand so not worried at this point. Will see if it works out. The bearing pocket in mine was loose and doesnt hold the bearing in. But when you sandwhich everything together there is no play.

Just trying to figure out why this is happening, I am pretty sure this is the first time there has been an issue like this. The plates have measured parallel now you can also check to make sure they are perpendicular to the rails with something like a carpenters square. The misalignment is at an angle (closer to one rail) suggesting something like this.

The bearing fit, the bearing is jut there to hold up the coupler, no need for clamps or anything.

I’ll check to see if there perpendicular to the rails when I get home from work. Just email me about the details of getting another set of those two plates so we don’t have to work that out on here. Thanks again.

andy

Checked it with a square. It was darn close…any discrepancy that’s present is just negligible…hopefully with another set of plates I won’t have the issue…

Thanks,

Andy

Here’s a photo of the plates slid right together. Same off center situation.

??? Are the stepper holes drilled weird? What if you turn the stepper 90 degrees? Is it seated all the way down?

No the holes look right. I tried different motors and turning them different ways…yes it was seated all of the way…since I’m at the point where it doesn’t make much difference i opened the upper plate stepper holes up a couple of sizes and pulled it to the far side. I also shimmed the stepper up on one side to get the lead screw to be parallel with the z bars, but I can’t leave it like this.

thanks,

Andy

Do you still want an invoice sent for new parts, if so what parts exactly?

I just put together a J-zmount set and it was dead on. I am not really sure how a set of parts could be crooked or offset like that. You had me nervous that my CAD files were bad but I checked the files and the actual printed parts.

Yes please…just the upper z motor plate and the lower plate that Holds the bearing…I have no idea what’s going on either, still don’t! I have a machining/fabrication background so I don’t struggle doing things like this. Sometimes things just don’t fit and you can’t always come up with a good reason why…everything else in the kit has been great and I’m really impressed with the design.

Thanks,

Andy

Just thought I would update. Put it together last night with the new parts. Totally fixed the issue! No shims, no opening of the holes, perfectly centered. Thanks for your help Ryan.

Andy

sweet