Z axis lead screw misaligned

My lowrider’s lead screw is misaligned with the stepper motor, it is off by about 3 mm in the x direction. In the picture you can see the ease of the coupler is (mis)aligned with the edge of the nut.

I can force it in the coupler but by low Z heights it starts missing steps due the stress. Once it is above about an inch, the coupler works well enough. I have tried loosening and tightening various screws, but no success. I have tried loosening the XZ coupler fully.

My y plate is out of Baltic birch so it should be flat. I bought the printed parts from the shop

Any suggestions?

image image

Someone else posted the same problem last week, and solved it by flipping one of the Y-plates end for end.

(This isn’t the exact post I was thinking of)

Have you tried loosening the screws on the Brass Nut on the lead screw? They should be left a little loose to accommodate some misalignment.

Also, do the Z tubes stick up above the XZ assembly? From the assembly page…

!pic

There is a small notch / ridge to prevent the Z rails from coming out of the top on all 4 parts. If your rails are crooked this is where to check.

Thanks guys! Flipping the entire XZ bracket so the truss is (wrongly-ish) facing out ‘fixed’ it! Not sure why, but I’ll go with it. Now that side falls under its own weight but the other doesn’t. So maybe I’ll flip the other one too…

2 Likes