Z axis motor amperage

What amperage are folks typically driving their z axis motors at? I am at 1.2 amps, but I recently had one of the stepper motors skip steps and actually fall. Has anyone seen similar behavior?

Same as the mpcnc, .7v, so whatever amps that is.

Are you sure you aren’t overheating? You shouldn’t skip steps at 1.2A unless you are going too fast.

It may be my steppers. I have collected quite a few of them since I started 3D printing in 2012. Is it possible they don’t have the holding power? Strange thing is it always seems to be on one side. I will post a video of it if I can capture one.

There are steppers that can’t provide enough torque. They are approx. as strong as they are long/heavy. But the spec sheet is the only way to know for sure.

1 Like

Just a follow up on this. My current steppers are rated at 65oz in of torque, but I think the issue was / is actually a heat issue. I ran my low rider successfully on a cooler day, so I may be dealing with over heating stepper drivers. The motors were not hot during the successful run.

Guys,

Enjoying the subject, I’d like to ask you about the motors’ torque.
In the link for buy the motors suggested to be used in this project, says that they are 6 kgf.cm, is there any problem if I use 5 kgf.cm motors?

Thanks.