Z axis out of square

Hi all,

My MPCNC is pretty much complete and I have been doing some test cuts. TO start with, I leveled my spoilboard and then skimmed cut some redwood to create a smooth surface. I am using a 1" cutter. The result is leaving a ridged finish. Is this more likely the Z axis not being perpendicular to the XY planes or is it the size of the cutter causing deflections? Is there a way to tram the Z axis?

thx in advance,

Gary

Well, two things here. your Z axis should be correct, check with the best square you have and takes a careful eye while assembling and tensioning your gantry. But is typically very easy.

The other is the tool mounting itself, also typically very easy but can be shimmed with a piece of tape or two on the mount points.

A 1" bit is giant, very large for this type of machine. To have that type of accuracy is a whole new level of careful eye. I have a tool on thingiverse and using it can easily get really close.

Thx Ryan… I think I saw that alignment tool on Thingiverse. I’ll check it out.

Can you post a link to the alignment tool? I have searched Thingiverse but can’t find one under Allted.

Thanks!

DW 660 Perpendicularity Tester found on #Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1525661

1 Like

Do you know if there is one for the makita?

There’s this one?