Z probe not stopping Z axis

There is a setting to enable them all the time. Something like “hardstops”. I am guessing the reason is that if you’re 43 hours into a print job and your endstop wiring comes loose, you don’t want it to destroy your print. In a CNC, you might argue it is less likely, but still, if there is any noise on your line, it will be a terrible gremlin to find. Feel free to experiment and enable it though, this is your machine. :slight_smile:

So I did m119 again just incase I missed it. So it says z_min_endstop: open when the probe is not touching. And triggered when touching. I have never seen the z probe one pop up though, I do have it wired to z min pins.

I checked the wires and if I manually level the z axis to its 0 position and set that as home without a z probe the machine works great. It’s just this dang z probe for homing and probing using fusion that’s causing me such problems. I need to reprint the pen holder because last night it went to far when i used the post processor in fusion 360 for a probe.

That does make since about if a wire comes loose it would mess up the print. I will probably try changing that until I get better. I would rather mess up my print then the machine.

Thanks for all the support. I am trying all the ideas but haven’t hit that gremlin yet. This community is amazing for support!

Sorry forgot to answer this question: when the z motor is on that axis is rock solid. When it goes down during the xy home it literally is moving it down. I cannot figure out why though. My first thought is maybe I wired it wrong. I will take pictures in a few (no judging the cord management, it’s being fixed once the drag chain finishes printing)

In your first post you said XY homing works great. Is that still the case? Did the Z always move during an XY home? Even when you explicitly home a single axis?

If you can post (a link to) your Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h I can take a look if I see something wrong.

Hey, from the start when I home XY it always moved the z down and then homed. I used

MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step_DualEndstop

With no changes but bed size to 550 and 520. Is homing supposed to maybe move z axis up out of the way and my motor is wired backward? still problem of z home moving a few inches and just stopping.

So I have been out here for a couple hours. I just flipped my cable for the z axis and it now moves up when + and down when negative, is this right? Still no freaken luck with z probe but I did break another pen mount before I stopped it.:thinking:

yes.

https://docs.v1engineering.com/software/

Awesome, fixed one part but it will only move about 1 inch when I click a home or type g28 z. I really would love to solve this stupid code! Now with flipping the plug it moves up when i click home…

Try a manual command, G28 Z

Is it moving up one inch when you hit the button? That means it thinks it is already home.

m119 still says open on all and when you trigger Z it says closed?

Something is missing what you describe should not be happening.

When i type G28 Z it moves up ~1 inch and when i do m119 it says open (unless i am touching probe to plate). I could make a video and post it with a link (youtube?), it doesnt make since because it should have to find home at least once right? i did a test and it is working great again with just xy homing but z homing/ z probe doesnt seem to work (lets be honest, probably something easy i am doing wrong)

Pretty stumped on this one. Try homing without your Z probe connected to the board at all , kill the power before it crashes. Another option is to switch the polarity of your probe you could be picking up a stray voltage from the tool or something.

You could, that may help, especially if you can do a screen capture of your interface when you do the commands. Close ups on wiring and the plate and clip.

Or just post screen shots here of everything. Maybe someone will spot something.

Alright no judging my garage or setup. Cord management is being fixed once i am sure I don’t have to fix it again, as you can probably see from the drag chain mounts.

I did try with the z probe unplugged and exact same results. Also tested it with router but the risk is much higher so I switched to pen

1 Like

I had a look at the differences between Marlin-MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step_DualEndstop and my settings.

In Configuration.h:

• I have DISabled “#define Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN” (comment it out by putting two slashes in front of it). This setting is probably responsible for your issues.

• I have ENabled “#define FIX_MOUNTED_PROBE” (remove the 2 slashes in front of it)

• I have reduced the X/Y probing speed (only relevant for G38, not G28): “#define XY_PROBE_SPEED HOMING_FEEDRATE_XY”. The default is 8000 mm/min, a bit high for the MPCNC maybe.

• I have ENabled “#define MULTIPLE_PROBING 2”, although it doesn’t seem to have any effect.

In Configuration_adv.h:

• I have ENabled “#define G38_PROBE_TARGET” and “#define G38_PROBE_AWAY”. Gives you G38.

Try those changes, and check whether you are still triggering z_min (instead of z_probe) with M119.

And in just case you’ve been fiddling with it, make sure “#define Z_MIN_PROBE_PIN” is DISabled. It already is in the default firmware you’ve been using, but explicitly defining the Z_MIN_PROBE_PIN makes Marlin do something weird and it doesn’t work.

Hey guys, so as of 5 min ago it’s fixed. I went to the top of the page and just worked my way down repeating all suggestions. It turns out that the white cord (from the shop) makes it think it’s already grounded. I plugged the probe directly into the board and it is working like a charm. I now have to figure out why that cable is not working and do some cord management.

Thank you for all the support. We did it!

1 Like

I can’t help you, that garage is too messy. :smiley:

1 Like

Hey I set ground rules! Now you have to come clean it up!

1 Like

TBH, I didn’t watch the videos yet, I just saw the disclaimer and immediately responded.