Z probing in wrong direction

Ok so I’m using an skr pro with tmc 2209 drivers I’ve had it operating as it should and decided to add a conductive z probe. I only have a pen plotter and drag knife. I thought it would help achieve a proper depth of cut with the drag knife so I went about it and got to do the probing itself and the z axis motor goes in reverse. The direction for manual control is right in repetier and I’ve drawn a few thing already but can’t home z. I can’t seem to find a setting in marling to reverse it. I had tried to use max endstop to kinda get by and it won’t let me… I’m not sure if it’s because repetier thinks I’m using a printer and so what it thinks is up is down… so maybe my motor plug is backwards but seems right because the screw/motor assembly is upside down compared to a printer? I feel like I’m missing something here… something simple probably… thanks in advance for any help. I’m currently using an iPhone to post but if necessary I can upload config files. Ps I couldn’t find a tutorial on z probing for mpcnc on for printers so some of this was me winging it but I didn’t seem to have to change much to get it to attempt to probe

positive (+) direction on Z should lift the pen/knife away from the bed. The home routine should move it down, as in the Z number should become lower. V1 firmware should already have the correct direction defined.

1. What machine do you have (MPCNC or LowRider)?
  2. What version of the Marlin firmware are you running (ZIP file name)?
  3. What modifications have you made to the firmware?

The MPCNC homes Z down. The LowRider dual endstop homes Z up. The default homing on the dual endstop Lowrider is used to square the Z axis. On the LowRider with dual endstops, a G38.2 is used to probe downward.

There is a setting to reverse the probing direction, but probing the wrong direction should not be happening if you are using stock firmware. Verify that you are running the correct version of the firmware as the starting point.

2 Likes

Of course you should have you probing set up correctly but are you using the type of drag-knife that is available from the V1 shop? If so, the cut depth is set on the cutter. The bottom of the aluminum body should touch the top of whatever you are cutting, and the blade should only stick out the depth of your material. But if you are using some other type, carry on.