Z slip over large topographical map

Nope should work, E1 might be a bit more safe but just don’t enable the Extruder and there should be no issue.

Probably want to get a case or some spacers though, sitting directly on the wood isn’t ideal. Lil moisture and poof.

Each driver needs to be calibrated to a specific voltage, which is really setting a specific current through the steppers. To test, check the voltage between the little screw on the top of the driver board and the 12V ground. Be careful not to short anything with the probe. Even if everything seems fine, you need to check these at least.

If you’re wiring is serial, and you have “normal” motors, then the setting that is not reliable and strong enough is about 0.7V. you can Google for a great video by pololu on adjusting drv8825 current. Just know that the limit of 0.7V is meant to be conservative and it’s plenty (for series).

In the firmware, you can set all the E0 pins to -1 and it won’t ever do anything to the x pins then.

Awesome work.

Just an update. I don’t know if you’d want to submit the PP to the trusted list based just on my case, but I completed the last few sections with it.

[attachment file=53388]

Still need to mount, level, and paint the pieces and fix the lettering. (A single-flute 1/4" bit started melting the plastic after I put 10 hours into the panel…)

Here it is from an angle:

[attachment file=53389]

In all, a success. Thanks a million for your help.

Also, we’re putting on a STEAM fair this week, so I’ll be showing off the machine (with a pen) at the school. Made a sign today:

[attachment file=53390]

Hope this use of the logo is okay. If not, I’ll pull it.

20180219_200218.jpg

2 Likes

I freaking love it!!!

1 Like

Hello

i got a couple question regarding pp for aspire.

should I do something with the firmware when running t8 on my Z?

i use the stock t8 firmware Ryan have linked to here.

What pp should I use is there a final one? Or is it number 5 that works best ?

Works ok I just removed everything with z motion in it . I don’t use z when using the laser.

Question for ryan. Its been a LONG time since Ive been active here and even used my MPCNC. I do not have the new style lead screw. I have the threaded rod (cant remember the size). But, with the test 4 & 5 firmware will it work with my threaded rod or will Z changes need to be made in config. How hard is the upgrade to lead screw. Thanks

To use the new firmware you just need to change the Z steps before you flash it.

If you want to update to the leadscrew, it depends on what hardware you have. If you have the T8 nut slot then just need a T8 nut and coupler. If not then you need some new plastic parts.

I dunno if I have the t8 nut slot or not. I’ll look into it. Thanks for the reply

Do you mind showing me where / values needed? I was hoping I was going to get by but tonight my MPCNC took a huge Z plunge unexpectedly. I plan on ordering the new lead screw but until it arrives I’ll want to edit my config to match my threaded rod.

Thanks folks

I’m using what I think is the latest Vectric PP for Marlin, test5, and I’m trying to figure out where the rapid speeds are being set. I don’t see a rapid speed value in the PP and I don’t see a rapid speed value in the Vectric software yet the code still spits out F1200.0 for all G0 moves?

I can see the following settings in the PP:

VAR FEED_RATE = [F|A|F|1.1]
VAR CUT_RATE = [FC|A|F|1.1]

“G0 [X] [Y] [Z] [F]”

“G1 [X] [Y] [Z] [FC]”

I can see the tool feed rate from the software is feeding [FC] for cutting moves, but where is it getting [F] from, is the 1200 just some generic hidden value??

I saw from a different version of the pp that I may be able to adjust the rapids like this:

“G0 [X] F2000 [Y] F2000 [Z] F500”

So maybe I’ll give that a try…

So did you select X Carve as the PP and it worked?

From above………

###################################################
I’m using what I think is the latest Vectric PP for Marlin, test5, and I’m trying to figure out where the rapid speeds are being set. I don’t see a rapid speed value in the PP and I don’t see a rapid speed value in the Vectric software yet the code still spits out F1200.0 for all G0 moves?
###################################################

What was the end result of this? My biggest concern with the PP in vectric aspire is the fast speeds, I see too many posts (on Facebook) of people trying to make their own PP work “better” and mess up the fast speeds. I too was very concerned about the fact that there was no value in “test5” PP. What am I missing? Is it hidden in the Aspire somewhere or do I need to add it to my PP?

1 Like

Have a look at my milling basics page for some settings that should work and what to change from there.

Is it correct that you made this work by going from 1/ 32 to 1/16 steps and use the Marlin_mm test5 PP?

Ryan, is the Marlin_mm test 5 the one we need to use for Vcarve?

It has been a few years. I am not certain, but I assume it still works?

Thanks, I was just seeing if it was finalized that the Marlin_mm test 5 was the tested and good to go version for VCarve PP.

People use it, I have never ran vcarve so I can not verify.

I’m going to go with it and see what happens. Foam sheet to start so I don’t crash the Z into a nice piece of cherry and snap a bit.