Z Steppers Grind then shut

So I am about the get this thing done, but im running in to issues with the steppers for the Z.
When I try to raise with the dials it just gives 1 quick grinding sound then wont do anything else. If i unplug the power, back again it does the same thing.
Everything else seems to be working great…

1. running .7 on the driver voltage
  2. Latest FW for ramps/mega

Thanks

Hmm its actually happening with all of the steppers… X will move if I do 1mm at a time but its still not sounding smooth :slight_smile: anything faster than that, wont move at all, just grinds.

Did you purchase the wiring harness from Ryan or do your own? What kind of wiring setup do you have. What happens if you plug in only one axis at a time and see how that works?

What controller do you have, also.

So I am working on troubleshooting the X movement first since those belts are hooked up.

1. Ramps board… latest FW.
  2. My own harness. followed this picture to the letter .

So with X, one of the steppers appears to be working ok the other is not. So im going to re do the wiring on that guy and see what happens.

Ok… so this is a bit weird, well a lot…

So this harness, I have is exactly the same…

Maybe I am just not getting this in series wiring thing.
I assumed after making this harness that (lets just say bottom pin on each splice is 1, then 2 3 4.
I thought it would be just lining up pins 1, 2, 3, 4 from my steppers, which is red, green yellow blue. For each stepper and thats it.
ugh. i am no good at this wiring stuff haha

The colors don’t matter. The wires should be AABB. You can quickly test if two wires are on the same coil by just connecting them (while not connected to the drivers). If they are part of the same coil, you will get resistance in the motor.

I would try it without the belts first, to male sure you have the right directions.

Yeah, I def know the colors dont matter… I shouldnt be attempting anything in life without that haha…
OK that tip about coils is good… because I cut off the connector on this steppers years ago, so I am not even sure which 2 go to which coil…
So figuring out that would be a good first step :slight_smile:

and by resistance, do you mean if you try to turn it it wont go? I read for a second resonance, like you would here a hum or something. haha.

Yeah, it feels like magic, but you just connect the wires, and it gets harder to turn. I’m sure there are good explanations on it somewhere. I imagine it is the inductance resisting the change in current, and the current is generated by moving it, so it is producing reversed current, which causes the resistance. Magic?

You can also test with an ohmmeter. It should be in the 2-10Ohms range.

Ok, so i figured out that I do appear to have the right pairs. left two resist, right two resist.

SO here is the wiring harness i made.

So is the the same way, AABB on these connectors too?

ah fiddle F… red and green are swapped on my harness.

That’ll do it. :smiley:

Ok so that did indeed fix it haha.
However (this is the X btw).
About every 5 movements of 10mm one of the steppers just grinded and didnt move. It would then work the next command. interesting, you would think it would happen all the time or not at all.
thanks again so far for the help. im nearly there. i hope i think maybe

That sounds like it is mechanical. When stopped, do both sides offer about the same amount of resistance? If not, maybe it’s a loose pulley or belt.

Perhaps the hi pot needs addressing… these are nema 17s, so I think .7-.8 is where I want to be…
Belts are just newly tightened… should be fine there.
moving 1mm at a time seemed ok… so ill see how it reacts over time.
going to re wire the Z steppers later today and see what happens

1 Like

so since my ramps z has two spots for steppers do you just plug them in to that directly, or would you still use an in series splitter like i made for the X?

so i test wired them in series for the Z and it worked fine… so my x and Z are solid :slight_smile:
the only issue im seeing is that the Z steppers are whistling every step, a different pitch.
every so many steps I hit silence, but one click (i should say every mm move i make) high pitch, next 1mm movement, different pitch, repeat… then silence after a 1mm move, move again, squeel.
think you get the point hah

Do not use the two plugs on the board (same for rambo). Doing so would put the motors in parallel which has lower torque and possibly uneven torque. Wire in series using the “splitter”.

1 Like

Yep… using the splitter… everything is peachy…
dont wait until the Y carriage is mounted and everything is done before putting on the router. its not easy… pain in the butt

Finally got her all up and running and tested.
Found out what the grinding was on the X… it was the rear belt. It was tight, just not hella tight.

2 Likes

Ok, so working on crown test print/image.

Finding out that when the print starts it appears to be flipped in both axis…
For instance, I have my starting position bottom left in estlcam.
When i go to start it moves to the other side, and then starts printing towards me instead of up.
I can only assume that means both X and Y are flipped somehow. Doesnt appear to be a tool in estlcam to flip that. Not even sure how the marlin FW determines that… perhaps it just sees 0 , 0 and thats home. It wont let it go negative, so it naturally goes positive.
I dont know :slight_smile: