ZenXY art gallery?

I put this thread here even though it’s only tangentially software related. While sandify is AWESOME and the go to for geometric patterns, I am currently experimenting with generating at least portions of the code in fusion 360, so I can do stuff like sports team logos for my son (and myself!), and whatever other freeform art I can find.

This got me wondering if there is a centralized gallery for designs? I am interested to see what kind of stuff has been put on zen tables over the years.

2 Likes

Nothing centralized. Bob and I collected a few in a github repo. You can post them here. But no neat web tool for sharing them.

Well here is my first attempt at a logo with F360:

4 Likes

That’s the wrong Marlin logo :slight_smile:

marlin firmware logo

Looks really good though.

2 Likes

Nice. Hey I’ve been experimenting with a work flow to easily generate these types of drawings for the ZenXY. I have a couple different ways of doing it but they are not exactly easy. Wondering what your work flow to generate this GCode was? Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

For the logo (and a few other projects I havent posted yet), I start with an svg or dxf. If all I can find is raster images (jpeg, bmp, etc), I use Inkscape to convert it, although I suck at Inkscape and prefer to skip this step if I can.

I import the dxf to a Fusion 360 sketch, then create trace tool paths. This can be tedious though. You have to be very careful about the start and direction assigned to each segment, and if you need to do any backtracking, you have to create a second toolpath that starts where the previous one ended.

Also, sometimes the dxf needs to be cleaned up and/or altered. For the marlins logo, I just had to decide where I wanted the ball to go, and also make sure there were no islands. No rhyme or reason to this step, it’s up to the designer. I also do this in fusion.

Once the artwork is done, I post the g code, then import it into sandify as a layer. I use sandify the generate a background pattern, and align the start point of the logo layer to the end point of the pattern.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Right on. Thanks for the reply!
I have done a similar route with creating the tool paths manually. I was hoping you would say that you discovered a new simple way to do this. I have been trying to get a more automatic and easy approach to this process but so far am coming up short. There are some intriguing things with SisyphusForTheRestOfUs that can be seen here: Sisyphus for the Rest of Us
This generates a .thr file that can be imported into Sandify as well. It works but has it’s limitations. One of the big limitations is that you can’t import a vector file. Also there is no control over the way the gcode is generated. It would be ideal to have Sandify be able to import a .dxf or other vector directly and generate the paths. That would be awesome! One can wish!

1 Like