0.8mm nozzle print of parts

Hi,

I have someone printing the parts for me with a 0.8mm nozzle. Any issues I may run in to? Anyone else done it with that size extrusion?

Going to start building my first MPCNC! YEA!

Been reading the pages, forums, web, etc. for a few weeks now. Lots of great information here.

Thanks!

Dan

They should be alright, but a lower layer height would help. I myself used to print a lot in 1mm nozzles and even at .4mm layer height I was not all that impressed with the amount of detail. It is not such a good idea to do that, but I can very easily see it working as long as the layer height is small and the parts are within tolerance.

That being said nobody I have seen has printed MPCNC parts in that big of a nozzle. You may run into fitment issues.

Just realized how unhelpful that was…ah whatever lemme hit that Submit button.

1 Like

Thanks Kevin, I guess there is a first for everything… and sometimes a last…

Dan

I don’t see why it would be a problem. None of the parts actually have to fit inside of another part. I don’t think anything requires super small outside corners anywhere. You might need to ream out a bolt hole here and there, but that happens with the normal smaller nozzle sized prints as well. A .8mm nozzle will just print two walls in the time it takes some to print one.

1 Like

Well it depends on the layer height. You just said your friend has a 0.8mm nozzle. Maybe he’s printing in 1.2mm?

I printed in 0.2 with my standard 0.4 nozzle.

If I would redo, I would go for 0.4 layer height. Higher layers usually means more strength (also much faster printing speeds of course).

1 Like

Layer height he used was 0.3. I just gave him a link to this forum too.

Yep, he had already mentioned that I would probably need to ream out the bolt holes.

Thanks!

I happen to be the person printing them. 0.8mm nozzle, and 0.3mm layer height for them.

Using 2.7.something for Cura, 2.4mm Walls when possible (3 perimeters if possible, probably complete overkill), using the recommended infill percentage on the parts page I found elsewhere on this site.

The biggest problem as I see it is that the larger the nozzle you use, the more ooze you get, so some of the parts will need some slightly more aggressive post processing. The printer I am using has a bowden feed, and I haven’t really dialed in the retraction for printing like this, so the supports on some of the prints are a hot mess. Nothing a quick pass with a drill bit or a needle file won’t fix though.

I have been having some issues with printing the Roller parts, but I don’t know if it’s filament related, slicer related, or the printer needing some non obvious maintenance. Looks like I am going to have to actually watch the part print to see what it going on.

You shouldn’t need supports for any of the parts. The orientation I have them on thingiverse should be correct.

It should be fine with this nozzle, and even thicker layers, the one issue will be the smaller screw holes on the outer edges they are small little islands. If those work the rest should be fine if the tolerances are decent.

Ryan, from what I have seen so far, I suspect that your right that they shouldn’t really “require” supports. I generally error on the side of caution, and typically opt for generating supports unless I know they will cause a problem.

I don’t recall changing any of the overhang settings from default, but mostly Cura wants to put in a few support lines for the top overhang of the various bolt holes, and occasionally for the tail end of some of the larger overhangs on parts. I suspect it would be way less inclined to do that if I used a lower layer height, or tweaked the overhang settings from the defaults to better reflect what you can do with a .8mm nozzle size.