12V 2A Amazon laser question

Has any one seen this newer amazon laser, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DZC1J3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ? I think the old one was 5v but this one is 12v. I bought it and it burns with ease, but I don’t know how to wire it to a Ramps 1.4. I know people with smaller voltage lasers mentioned how convenient it would be to use the 12v extruder fan to control the lasers analog needs, but since their’s were 5v they had to use a different wiring schematic and modify their firmware, which is past my skill set. Thanks for reading.

Probably good for etching but most the laser in use around here are more powerful. That one is 0.5W most are around 3W.

I don’t know if it will work directly but if you wanted to take the gamble you would plug it into the fan port and use the rest of the laser instructions to run it without needing to remap the fan pin in the firmware.

1 Like

Thanks for the help. I just want to burn images into wood/leather maybe acrylic.

Here are some videos of it burning:

1 Like

It will be a while until I get around to trying this, I don’t even have the steppers yet to build the mpcnc, but I will try to keep you posted. This is my second mpcnc machine and I am pretty confident this will work.

I have the same laser, though I recently upgraded to a 2500mW one. This laser can be wired directly to the RAMPS D9 connector that is usually used for fans.

But first…please get better safety glasses than the $5 pair that came with that laser. Your eyesight is worth more than $5. I’m using these ones. With them on, the laser looks dull yellow, no blue light gets through at all.

You might also be interested in the laser mount I made for this laser: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2655590

1 Like

Thanks for the post Grant. Sorry for the late response. I told you it would be a while until i get around to putting it all together. I printed your part and it looks much cleaner than my previous one. What program did you use to run the gcode when you had it running through your D9 pin? or did you just write the gcode onto a file and print it from the smart LCD?