A Texas rebuild...

I need to double check them all I just looked and I have changed the dual marlin 2 to 0.15, maybe I missed a few firmware versions. I need to to get in there and get a Marlin 1 set in there so it is easy to flash again.

Thanks, super cool day!

Finally got off my lazy butt and prepared a little first MPCNC milling project. I tried to duplicate a small, milled, box enclosure for a pot I installed on one of my earliest BuildYourCNC-inspired machines. I took measurements, prepared a DXF using Onshape, brought it into Estlcam, and generated the gcode file… using Ryan’s intermediate milling tutorial as my guide. Then, of course, I found the rattiest, most twisted, piece of pine I could find… just to make this more of a challenge. Oh… and it was a full 3/4" thick, which required pressing the stop collar off my 1/8", single-flute, endmill. Finally, after all that, a part was produced… useless but successful =8^)

Old pattern part… I left off the notch…

[attachment file=65518]

Surfaced 1mm off top of material first… shows the twist pretty well…

[attachment file=65517]

[attachment file=65520]

Bottom side… almost complete through cut…

[attachment file=65519]

New part with old pattern parts…

[attachment file=65521]

I’m pleased. Hopefully, having now worked through the procedure, I’ll not be so lazy/reluctant about doing more of this stuff in the future… :wink:

– David

1 Like

Nice. I recently looked at the intermediate tutorial…it needs some work. It is a bit hard to follow so I am glad you got through it.

That board is as twisted as it gets! I bet the bottom didn’t finish because as you cut it probably started springing in a different direction.

Nothing seemed stressed at all… this whitewood is super soft. Actually the part that’s not completely cut through (it was paper thin) is the part that was best supported underneath and against the spoilboard. I just didn’t compensate for the twist when setting DOC… :wink:

The guide was okay once I started concentrating a bit harder and really thinking through what you were saying. I thought about doing your LCD endplate as my first milling project but decided that, without taking time to do the other endplate as well, I’d do something similar but simpler… :wink:

Alright! What should be the last update to my MPCNC milling adventure…

The initial project successful – but pretty useless except for the learning aspect – I decided to commit to a real project… Ryan’s LCD enclosure endplates. Using Onshape, I imported the “left.DXF” file (from the intermediate tutorial) into a sketch and mirrored it to model both ends. Exported the dxf and used Estlcam to create the gcode. Found a 10mm thick, laminated flooring, cutoff from my scrap pile, and set it up on the MPCNC. The laminated hardboard flooring milled beautifully and I couldn’t be more pleased with the result…

[attachment file=65676]

[attachment file=65677]

[attachment file=65678]

[attachment file=65679]

[attachment file=65680]

[attachment file=65681]

[attachment file=65682]

– David

That’s flooring? It looks great.

1 Like

Yep! The kids selected it when they/I remodeled my house… before they moved off to San Antonio. Got it at Lowes. It’s a laminated hardboard/MDF (?), with smooth Melamine(?) and attached foam padding on the back… wood-grain pattern on top. Fake, but looks nice, and replaced a lot of old worn out carpeting… and I’ve got plenty of extra. May have to glue up a couple of panels and cut LR2 parts… if/when I get a bit more ambitious =8^)

[attachment file=65688]

Looks awesome, That is one of my favorite parts. I sold my display at MRRF but I didn’t want to let go of the ends caps I first milled, I brought them home.

1 Like

I wonder if it would fit on one of those free samples, I have a box of those. They seem pretty tough/dense, so they would be good for stuff like this.

We are planning on doing the same thing with the floors on the first floor. We basically are just stuck because I want to do it myself, and my wife wants to have a contractor do it. The problem is, I think it will be less work for me to actually do it, than accommodate a contractor doing it.

Though this says it’s 8mm thick, the boxes I have left specify 10mm. It locks together tightly with little/no fasteners and is super quick and easy to install… except for all the getting up/down that taxes the elderly and out-of-shape among us =;^)

It can also be a bit slippery for socked feet and pets that want to jump onto the sofa but, without the grandkids and their dog here, that’s not a problem for me…

Seems easy to me! We aren’t evenr doing the stairs and we wouldn’t have any transitions. So I just have to work around walls and cabinets. I also figure I could remove the ceiling popcorn and paint with wild abandon after we clean out the rooms and remove the floors. With that much going on, it seems better to tackle it a room at a time instead of trying to get my entire first floor clear for the guys on a single tuesday.

The thing that will take a while is creating a secret message underneath the floor boards with the low rider.

Ceiling popcorn, oye! I did that one once. Use a pump up bug sprayer with water to wet it down, let soak for a few minutes and then scrape off with a very wide tape knife so you don’t gouge the underlying seams or sheetrock. If you have carpet and are going to remove it, leave it in place while you do the ceiling and then roll it up afterward with the mess inside.

1 Like

I didn’t think to leave the carpet. That’s a good idea. I was thinking I would just shovel the subfloor or something.

I did a bedroom upstairs once and I did the same with a scraper and the sprayer. I think I was actually getting pretty good at it. Makes my arms tired thinking about it again though. The result isn’t perfect, but I think even a few dings is better than the popcorn.

Maybe I should just move the furniture, and remove the popcorn right now, then I would have a good excuse to get started. :slight_smile: