Actions from part to print

I feel like I’m so far behind everyone else in the knowledge of all the programs and maker technology for 3d printing/cnc! I learned about manufacturing level cnc using Pro/E-Creo and a Hass Mill, but all of these open source programs are a different mind set. I’m trying to just dive in to it all and get learning, but its difficult taking little bits and pieces from this topic and that-not to mention everyone has a little different set up.

Background on where I am at:

Have my MPCNC put together, but haven’t hooked it up to the computer yet.
Used allted’s parts kit, printed my own parts on a Printrbot simple metal. Using Fusion 360 for my own designs, then Cura to print. Some kind of magic happens and it works wonderfully.
Have an Ox CNC put together and functioning, and hooked up to the computer. TinyG with Chilipeppr, and some JScut. Been semi succesful.

What I want to be able to do:
Design part in Fusion 360, then print on MPCNC
Design part in Fusion 360, mill with MPCNC.
For those unfamiliar with Fusion 360, the program will output STL’s. In fact, I can go to the file menu, and scroll down and click 3d print, and it sends it right to cura.

What I don’t understand:
How do I go from an STL, say something saved from thingiverse, to print with the MPCNC? I have this mental mind disconnect I can’t quite seem to put together the pieces.
Thanks for any advice you guys can offer.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that some 3d objects just can’t be milled on a 3axis mill. You’d need a 5axis mill to create undercuts. You have to design with this In mind. 3d printing allows just about anything you can imagine.

There are two separate steps depending on whether you are 3D printing or milling:

3D Printing:
- load the stl file into Repetier Host (free) and slice it (it is actually using Cura or Slic3r internally) to create gcode
- Repetier Host can communicate directly with the MPCNC to print the part

Milling:
- Load the stl file into EstlCAM or CamBam
- I have found that dxf files require much less work for milling than stl files
- Create the tool paths and operations you want to happen using the functions in EstlCAM or CamBam
(mill, drill, profile, engrave, etc…tool diameter, depth of cut, etc…you will have to specify all of this for each item cut)
- Generate the gcode from the menu “File - Save CNC Program”
- Load the gcode into Repetier Host to communicate with the MPCNC to run the program

JDGreen: That is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much for simplifying it! Repetier Host seems to be the missing link I was looking for. Didn’t realize that one program could communicate both functions.

You can use cura the same way. just load the stl file up and click print.