Add a "Lessons Learned" Section on docs.v1engineering.com?

@dlopeman
Continuing our conversation away from A Tale of Two Tables - Toronto Canada

A place to consolidate the lessons learned and solutions that the forum community has come up with and shared. Would be community populated. No extra work for @vicious1 or @jeffeb3!

E.g. from my own mistakes :slight_smile:

• Loctite your SET screws
    If your CNC cut goes veering off axis you may need to do this.
  • Holding Tabs are really important!!!
    Watch out for small islands in your design when you set your holding tabs. Small pieces can break off and bind your CNC.

May need to be organized/tagged by machine and/or by activity (CNC vs 3DP)
Could include links to forum topics that discussed the problem and solution.

Thoughts? On layout. On how to incorporate into docs.v1engineering.com

2 Likes

(more) Section ideas:

• Tips & Best Practices
  • Safety (i.e. E-stops, clearance, etc.)

The whole docs is sort of a lessons learned, but I can imagine a more misc section of little lessons learned.

Ryan and I spent some back and forth trying to figure out how to organize things. We ended up with:

• Build: Mechanical construction
  • Control: Electrical construction (with the assumption that the default workflow includes people having already flashed controllers)
  • Use: Some light instructions on some basic operations you can do, and we lump in odd tools in there (like the needle cutter)
  • Learn: This is extra knowledge that you can find elsewhere, but we’ve organized it and focused on dense information. I imagine someone reading this while they are waiting for something else, if they just want to know more.

I wonder if the things I mentioned as examples are like the Troubleshoot section in Use.
The reverse motor (https://docs.v1engineering.com/software/reverse-motor/) is the only page in there but that’s a solution to a “What the…?!” moment for sure.

1 Like

I’m finding more and more that the masking tape/instant glue method is the best way to hold down work. No tabs required and it works.

I don’t know how many close calls I’ve had with almost hitting a clamp or support.

2 Likes

How about a ‘MacGyver’ section for things you’ve dreamt up that aren’t exactly ‘accepted’ practice but accomplished something you weren’t sure you could do?

4 Likes