Advice needed on end mill setting in estlcam

Hi,

I´ve been doing some carving tests with som 2mm end mills with a 6mm shank, and i run into a problem on the edges of the carving. When the depth of the carving exceeds the depth of the cutting part of the end mill, hitting the shoulder of the shank where it thickens. On my end mill, this happens at about 10mm.

Is there a setting in estlcam where i can handle this offset?

end%20mills
This are the end mills I´ve been using.

First atempt of some carving, as you can see the end mill has burned the edges quite alot.

Tore

There is a setting for that, I’m not at the computer right now, but on the tool list if you click view, there are some additional settings that don’t show up by default and it might be one of the ones in there. Good luck!

1 Like

I looked and couldn’t find anything… I suspect you’ll need to manage it yourself by not setting “Toolpath depth” on the engraving properties to any deeper than the shortest flute-length on the tools you are using…

(But hopefully there is a setting hidden in there somewhere - I just wasn’t able to find it)

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that’s the setting that I was thinking about, I assumed that setting would stop it from trying to make a pass with the tool any deeper than that?

Thanks for the answers, toolpath depth would solve it probably. And i guess to avoid hitting the outer perimeter would be to carve out a area on the outside with another end mill that is the same thickness as the shank on my router before i do the the rest of the carving. so doing the project in two operations.

I imagine that if you set that to 10mm, it might still try to make a 12mm cut if it calculates that it has already removed material. That’s theoretically okay as long as the shank of the tool isn’t wider than the cutting edge, the collet doesn’t get it the way, and there isn’t any run out on the tool.

So it might work? Sorry, I’m really new to Estlcam myself!

Estlcam doesn’t have a separate setting for cutting diameter vs actual mill diameter. It assumes it’s the same all the way to the collet.

Pretty sure Fusion 360 allows you to describe the tool shape including the shoulder, and it will calculate which areas are reachable or not, including the shoulder and also taking into account the previous operations.

This doesn’t help you for Estlcam but just so you know what a more fancy CAM can do.

2 Likes

Pretty sure vectric can do this as well.

2 Likes