Aluminum Mounts.

This was a thickness test piece.
Anyone interested in some waterjet motor mounts? I think I will be placing a large order. These take out the flex that the plastic mounts have, and add a little to the cooling of the motor, and they look good.

DXF

1 Like

nice.

What is the thickness your planning for it? I would be interested if it was cut from steel.

This was .085" and it is better than my 70% infill pla printed mounts. I will be placing an order for the next size up in thickness.

I’m not using steel because I do not want to have to paint them or worry about corrosion.

I may be depending on cost and time frame.
I am was too excited to finish this thing to wait for too long

Yeah this is probably a few weeks out, if I can get a good price.

I am in if they are priced right. Based on the cost of the kit and everything else you do I assume the price will be spot on.

i’m in if the price is reasonable.

Well its been 2 weeks, I am getting the feeling that 400 of them was too small of a job for them. I’ll send out the quote again to another company. First one I got back wanted $6 each piece, No thank you.

Make a Water jet Addon!!

What I would give for a waterjet! High pressure pump design might be above my pay grade…

just get one of those harbor freight electric powered pressure washers! Then mount it on the mpcnc and BAM instant water jet!

Can you provide the DXF used to make the cut?

Best Regards

linked in the original post

I tried o cut some aluminum, and broken my 2 flute 1.5mm end mill… need to order another end mill…

When tring to cut, the spindle sometimes start to shake… im using a 400w spindle. Any ideia what is causing this?

Some photos and a video of my CNC

Best Regards

Aluminum is at the upper end of what this machine can do. So you really need to have things dialed in for it to work well. Since I didn’t see it happen it is hard to say what went wrong. Here are some things to try.

If you are using this primarily for milling thin flat material you should make this much shorter. You should also try and get your tool further into your spindle. In the video you sent that material should have been able to be cut in 1 pass very quickly or 2 at the most. The closer you get the cutting end of the bit to the gantry the faster you should be able to cut because of increased rigidity. If you are using this for other things as well as cutting like I am, you should move the material to be cut much closer to the gantry. In that video I made I have a stack of wood under the aluminum. I actually made another and fit 1 more piece of wood under it and was able to cut it faster. Think of it this way, every time you cut the distance from the material to the gantry in half you should be able to cut 2 times faster.

You can move the spindle up in the z direction Ideally you want the bottom of the collet just lower than the bottom of the z tubes to increase rigidity.

You should cut down the z length. When your tool is hitting the work surface your z motor mount should be almost hitting the gantry. If you have more than this you are swinging the mass of the z stepper around unnecessarily.

The 1.5mm bit is very unforgiving even though it is removing less material you might want to get it working well with a 3mm bit first and then figure out how to slow it down for a 1.5mm bit.

You might want to try a lower depth of cut, that puts less torque on the machine. There is a limit though material does have to be removed or you will just work harden it and never cut it.

You can try a coolant as well if your feed rate or spindle speed is off you can actually work harden the aluminum and heat up the bit very fast. to cut without coolant you need to have your feeds and speeds dialed in.

did the spindle slow down when it hit the aluminum? 400W might not be enough power. I believe the dewalt I am using now is 600W, but in my first aluminum videos I was using a 400W flex shaft rotary, and it did fine.

Thanks for all the hints :wink: I will cut the z-axis and try again.

charlie@performancewaterjet.com gave me a deal on a few parts for a 3D printer modification. They are in Ontario, California. Turn around time was next day. But I only needed 4 parts.

Thanks, I will definitely try and get a quote from them thank you!

I have a company here that i have laser cut alot of small stuff for me. I have to go there to check on machining some turbo stuff this coming friday. Would you like me to ask for a quote with an .STL file dropped off.