Anyway to make the DW660 louder?

I’m finding the DW660 to be a little on the quiet side, sometimes it’s hard to know if it’s even on when I’m 30 miles away at work and people have reported no loss of hearing from as close as three blocks away which quite frankly is disappointing. Any suggestions most welcome.

6 Likes

Maybe try a shop vac?

1 Like

My poor old Fein shop vac isn’t even in the same league!

Maybe use your compressor for air assist, that should get you into the jet engine in your garage levels.

1 Like

Run LinuxCNC on a 1U rack mount server on an open rack under the CNC table. The sound of 8 or so 20x20x40fans spinning at 10k RPMs should help a little.

1 Like

Compressor and LinuxCNC it is then!

Disclaimer: I don’t have a DW660.

All of these things add noise to the MPCNC, but don’t really address the problem of the DW660. For that, you could attach some kind of sounding board. This is basically anything that can be allowed to vibrate with the tool, and thereby act as an amplifier for any sound that it creates by increasing the surface area that interacts with the air. This is the way that musical instruments like the piano or the acoustic guitar work to amplify the sound of a vibrating string, but in this case, you’d be amplifying the sound of the motor.

Two things will increase sound pressure level. Increasing amplitude (MOAR POWAH!) and increasing surface area. The DW660 has plenty of power, but it’s diminutive size will reduce the amount that it can transfer that energy into the air. Attaching acoustic resonating panels to the barrel of the tool, as rigidly as possible near the core of the spindle or motor will have a huge effect on SPL.

For bonus points, you could (for example) make the spoilboard resonate. I would recommend choosing a natural frequency as a multiple of the peak frequency of the tool. (Something that will hit the same or a harmonic note when tapped) Fortunately the DW660 will have a more or less fixed pitch, since it has a non-adjustable speed, so you can fine tune the sounding board for maximum effect.

2 Likes

tumblr_pwde84tS901uphxvgo2_400

3 Likes

Now we’re talking! (listening, less so, what with the noise)

I do very much appreciate the elegant solution of the acoustically paneled sounding board equipped DW660 coupled with a resonating spoil board. Genius!

Step 2 - offer American Sign Language classes to the neighbors
Step 3 - profit!

1 Like

I think you really need to get a router speed control with an 11.

spinal tap goes to eleven clip

4 Likes

My suggestion is to strap an endmill in and run it into a steel clamp. That right THERE is one heck of a racket.

2 Likes

Ha! Something tells me you speak from experience :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you tried putting a body part in the routers path? It won’t necessarily make it louder but it will certainly make the noises you make louder

2 Likes

All the ways I can think of result in short periods of loudness, followed by silence. And probably a burning smell …

2 Likes

Several bitcoin miners should fix you up

The breadth of knowledge contained in these forums is most impressive! Great suggestions all :slight_smile:

While conversely, a knowledge of breadth suggests a home-made starter culture is key.

1 Like

Could tape a couple of these to the air intakes.

2 Likes

Man, i put a few of those in the blow off valve on my 86 turbo dodge (tried with just one and it grenaded immediately). It was hilarious on the street. Every time I’d shift…
Vrooooooom - whheeeeeeeeeee - vroooooooooom - whheeeeeeeeeee…
Eventually they stopped spinning and I dug out one of those old Choo Choo train whistles instead. Worked longer, but didn’t make as much noise so I ended up getting bored with it.

1 Like

Add goats. In addition to screaming like children, the olfactory emanations and creepy eyes are worth the price.

Now, I still just have a pen strapped to my MPCNC, but I have to believe that you can alter the pitch of the spindle by altering the feed rate and depth of cut, or both. Therefore, an enterprising engineer could, in theory, create gcode that, when paired with the correct stock material (you really need something with consistent hardness) and endmill, you could play some Judas Priest or Motörhead…

3 Likes