[Arduino + Ramps] - Xloader

Hello, trying to use xLoader and upload the firmware to my arduino board, but its not working.

This is how the program looks, located the .hex file.

Device Manager: Ports (COM5)

Stays saying “Uploading” forever, what am I doing wrong, I do only see “CC01” and “CR03” no board info.

Yes, this is a recent issue where the devices.txt files does not contain the right entries. See this post of mine for how the devices.txt used to be.. All you need is to add the following line to your devices.txt file in the XLoader directory using any text editor:

Mega(ATMEGA2560);atmega2560;stk500v2;115200;

I thinking that the V1 documentation should include a link to a “correct” devices.txt file for XLoader since the download no longer contains an entry for the right board.

3 Likes

I’m wondering if there is a different xloader link out there. If we have to start editing files, I would much rather delete xloader instructions and focus on making platform io as clear as possible.

2 Likes

You are right, there is more than one Xloader devices.txt . Use this link from hobbytronics and not the github one. Also ensure you are trying to upload to your device at the right speed, unos at 115200 and nanos at 250000 (IIRC… if I don’t then try the other speed!)

1 Like

The link that Mike points to is the original place I got XLoader, but it has been broken for months. My thinking on a fix would be to add something like the following to the XLoader use instructions:

Using a text editor, add the following line to the devices.txt file in the XLoader directory:

Mega(ATMEGA2560);atmega2560;stk500v2;115200;

That is the link I used originally, thanks Mike.

Robert, Mikes link is not working for you?

I just checked, it works and has the line already added.

Worked perfect.
Thank you.

I just checked, and the link still does not work for me. The download just doesn’t start…no error. BUT, if I copy and paste the link into a new tab, it does work, or if I click on it using Edge instead of Chrome, it does work. I suspect my ad blocker, but it was installed when I first used the link, so IDK.

We could also fork the github repo and edit the txt file in our version. That also isolates us from them updating something and breaking it.

1 Like

I updated the docs and added the link. If anything gets wonky, we can do a more permanent fix.

1 Like

If? IF? It’s like you’ve never been here before. The grub screws will get loose, layers will delaminate, wires will disconnect themselves… Wonkiness is part and parcel of what we do. If it all works perfectly for too long, we know something has gone horrifically wrong somewhere…

Besides, the wonkiness is what makes it fun… :crazy_face:

3 Likes