Been a while. Been busy with aluminum

at least cutting sheet for now, no 3d aluminum yet.

11 Likes

Woohoo very cool

You’re going to cut into that m3? Brave fellow. The cuts are looking great in the aluminum.

1 Like

I’m not. Thats not mine.

This one is mine and I cut lots of it.

9 Likes

Odd I can 3D mill aluminum, but for whatever reason I could not get vbit carves to work. I ran out of endmills and patience before I cracked the code.

2 Likes

I cant seem to make any bit smaller than 1/8" work on aluminum no matter what i try. It just jams up and breaks the bit.

1 Like

Do you use the regular 1/8" single flute?

No, I couldn’t make single or doubles work at all. I’m using a 3 flute specific for aluminum. Speed Tiger off amazon. They work very well.

1 Like

What RPM are you running, that is that determining factor. Since we use 20k+ we need single flute. I assume you are 10k or under?

I have no idea the actual rpm can you calculate it based off of frequency? I run it around 320hz. 400hz is 24000rpm

I’ve gone slower but I get more chatter.

A tachometer could be of help?

Did you try (you surely did!) to let the tip protrude as little as possible from the chuck? It is really surprising to what extent you can bend and flex a milling tip before it snaps.

And my secret weapon to fight jamming up is trochoidal milling. As soon as the tip has a chance to bounce between the walls of a groove of its own width it will happily do that. 30 to 40 % width augmentation (referred to the tool diameter) will change a lot.

Thst might be something to look in to with the smaller bit.

I’ll see if i can figure out how to do that in fusion thanks!

If F360 does not offer trochoidal milling, give Estlcam a chance. Recommended.

F360 may call it “Adaptive Milling”…

1 Like

I found engraving/carving more difficult since you typically aren’t doing any ramping. For example if you start an engrave at a depth of 0.2mm in aluminum on one side and you are off level 1mm side to side you are in trouble.

2 Likes