Best 7W Laser upgrade

So I want to mount a laser to my Mpcnc, and I was thinking on buying the 7W laser module from JTP

I was wondering If there were any files to mount the laser on a 25.4 Primo build.

Someone also recommended this 7W driver, but I’m not sure it’s worth the risk. https://sites.google.com/site/dtrslasershop/home/diodes/6w-nubm44-445nm-laser-diode

Does anyone have any tips for using the one from JTP. Is this a good idea? Do you know of other laser modules I could use instead?

Is it better to use this one instead, and mount it on my router? https://jtechphotonics.com/?product=spindle-mounted-all-in-one-bundle

Has anyone tried this one? is the 7W one enough to cut mdf?
https://endurancelasers.com/diode-lasers/10w-endurance-laser/

Does anyone know why there are no speed/power settings available on jtp?

From what I understand the NUBM44/47 is one of the highest power single-diode laser you can get. If you buy just the diode, you will need a heatsink, something to mount the diode in, a lens, and a constant current driver. There is a BlackBuck 8M at DTR I am testing that works nice. OptLaser has a “low cost” driver, too. https://www.laserdiodecontrol.com/shop/Laser-Diode-Driver-5A-OEM-Opt-Lasers
Otherwise, if you’re handy, building one is doable.

The Endurance laser is 10W in impulse mode (not even sure what that is yet). Not even sure you’d want to run it that high since it’s way above spec. 8W continuous. All 10W Endurance laser variants have the same NUBM44/47 diode in them. You’re paying for features in the different 10W models. The 8W probably has the same driver too - but that’s just a guess.

JTech makes a nice looking kit and seems to have a good design. I’m new here, so I’m not sure who can speak to that one. I almost purchased that one.

Also look at l-cheapo MK-7. https://www.robots-everywhere.com/products/l-cheapo-mk7/

In my limited testing, I can cut 1/16" plywood with 2 passes at 4mm/s. I think you can cut thicker, but you’re going to be there a while and burn the sides pretty good. Also look at air assist and don’t forget about fume extraction.

Not sure what you mean by Jtech not having speed/power. You’ll use PWM out from your board to control the power. If that doesn’t clear it up, please elaborate.

1 Like

I’ve been using the Neje 30watt (7watt optical output) and have had good results. As I’ve said in my build thread, it’s the first one I’ve ever used so I have nothing to compare it to. With an air jet and 100mm/min,@100% power, 2-passes, I can cut 2.6mm plywood pretty clean.

2 Likes

I cut 4mm plywood with my 1.6W laser in 6 passes and they come out clean enough. :smiley:

8 Likes

That’s an awesome design. I was going to make some “I survived 2020” wood coins, but this speaks to more people I think. :laughing:

Did you do the design or is it something you got online?

2 Likes

My wife did the design :slight_smile: she also made a censored version

There’s no chance you’d be willing to share that design is there? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry, the artist says I can’t give it away. We are selling the ornaments for $10 or she says i can sell you the svg for $4.

2 Likes

No problem and I understand.

My wife is an art teacher and does design work on the side, so I know where she’s coming from.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing some research on laser diodes and have come to the conclusion there isn’t anything higher than 7W, but running a 7W at 8W seems to be standard practice.

I also dug into the pulse or impulse mode that some sellers talk about. I think it’s not applicable to diode lasers. The post below talks about this. TLDR: DPSS and other types of lases are capable of pulsed mode, where the output would be higher than normal. Diode lasers are not.

As far as I can tell, running a diode laser in “pulse mode” (ex: 1.5x the rated power, at 10% duty cycle, where the average output is lower), is the equivalent of running a 12V lightbulb at 18V for short periods. Sure it will work for a while. But it is beyond spec.

In the post below, DTR is talking about how to do laser power measurement (LPM as they call it) – it seems that some people running tests don’t do it correctly. Some of it seems to be in reference to the Teaching Tech video, which was an interesting find.

Another post about the NUBM44-V2 at 7W as “king of the kill” as of 6/23/19. (seems to mirror a lot of the content on the DTR laser site, as it is the same author). (Jun 2019)

Also check out Tech Ingredients on YouTube. He has a good video on the NUBM44, and all of his videos are amazing.

2 Likes

I came across this YouTube video featuring the NEJE 40 W laser. It turns out this model has two 7 watt (optical power) laser diodes internally. The video shows various material cut settings all the way up to 15mm MDF.

3 Likes

I have to admit. That’s pretty impressive. The cost wasn’t much more than the 30w I bought. I wish that video was out when I had ordered my laser. I would have gotten the more powerful one.

2 Likes

That’s a neat video. The tips on the air assist and the mesh underneath are neat too.

Yeah +1 on the mesh idea. I have tons of that in my scrap heap and that’s way easier than cutting the balsa racks I have been using… last longer too.

The Neje 40W does look pretty nice, but no way I’m paying over $500 for one! At that price, you can get a low end k40 rig.

Aliexpress has the laser module kit, without the XY frame, for $289.

2 Likes

€289?

4 Likes

Even better!

Well that is more in the ballpark of what I expected for pricing on it. I Hope the price comes down more when I come around to upgrading from my 3.5W laser. Between my mpcnc and new resin printer, I have been on a hobby spendfest the past couple months. I need to space things out a bit lol.

2 Likes