Best Software for Sending Instructions to MPCNC?

Question is the title. I have been using repetier host but it is lacking in some features (preview and proper homing with a touch plate for tool changing) that is making it annoying to use. I like the look of estlcam’s software but I do not think it works with the marlin loaded on my controller. Anyone have any suggestions? I am also planning on adding a lcd but I would still like proper software.

Thanks!

Preview works if you show moves, and you can home Z to a touch plate no problem.

CNC.js is another option, but it is buggy with Marlin.

1 Like

Lots of options, “best” is just a rough way to ask.

I am having good luck with CNCjs. I am learning the specific gcode issues as I encounter them, but I am able to be productive with it. I have a good routine for a tool change in Estlcam and CNCjs runs it fine. I don’t have the echo to the screen quite right to see where I am in the code, but otherwise it is good. I am exploring options, but after a couple runs with repetier, I went with a raspberry pi and CNCjs so I could do wireless from my laptop.

I usually run the Estlcam preview to make sure it is doing what it is supposed to.

1 Like

I use a RaspberryPi running OctoPrint. I started with 3d printers before getting into CNC routers, so I was already very familiar with OctoPrint. I have a webcam setup so I can easily monitor what’s going on from the OctoPrint interface and easily view progress or hit the emergency stop if need be without being in the same room. There are tonnes of 3rd party plugins for OctoPrint so you can easily customise it to do what you want.

3 Likes