To start, thanks to Allted for the design, files, big brains and good heart.
Right now I’m stock apart from 20T pulleys and 64oz-in motors. I intend to get/print 16 tooth pulleys as soon as I can and try the torture tests for the beta firmware, then I’d like to up the build size, especially if I can find straighter EMT than they had at Lowes…
I’ve got the machine tuned in and cutting, and I thought I’d bullet a couple of my pitfalls while they’re fresh in my memory:
1: Belts can be too tight! Skipping steps like crazy and can’t seem to tune your steppers? If you pluck the belt and it sings rather than flopping a sub-audible bass note, that’s too tight. Don’t tighten the zip ties with a needle nose like I did.
2: One of those 1.75" bolts in the middle assembly really needs to be the exact measurement. If you can only buy a 2", cut one down (or both, since I can’t remember which was trouble), and do it before it’s in the plastic or you’ll melt it. The assembly wouldn’t ‘fold’ into shape with a 2".
3: You probably need the smaller Z nut lock. I didn’t realize there were two, because I don’t pay attention to details.
4: Substituting a flex coupling from a 3D printer for the rigid coupler is a bad idea. Stretches like a noodle, huge backlash.
5: Spend more than you’d like on bits. Harbor freight is out. I’m quickly becoming close friends with a Whiteside V bit.
6: Big spindle. I used the Dremel while I waited for the Dewalt 660. The difference is night and day. You’ll eventually need a speed control, the harbor freight one is working fine, used it for years on some other gear, now it’s on the CNC.
It’s my new favorite machine!