Carriage wheel size 60mm

I’m about to build a LR2 and am wondering how imporant a 60mm wheel diameter is ?

I really can’t afford to send a set of inline skate wheels over to Australia from USA so was hoping to buy a set of luggage wheels or inline skate wheels locally… but it’s hard to get 60mm. 63mm yes

I used something like 75/80. It raises the axle up a bit, which means you can’t drop quite as low. You may want to increase the thickness of your spoilboard to compensate, but for just a few mm like that, your endmills will probably be long enough anyway.
Also, mine were kinda softer rubber from a scooter. I don’t recommend them, but I had some other…issues as well.

2 Likes

The plastic parts do also hang under the table, so it will reduce the max thickness of the table.

And the belts may not line up anymore. Unless you also raise the belt ends. I doubt 3mm is going to hurt anything though.

" Not all wheels are created equal "

I notice some LR2 owners are having difficulty with "waves " forming (uneven surfaces). This is mostly due to slightly elongated wheels (not perfectly round). I am under the impresseion that using soft polyurethane wheels is probably a bad choice. Might be better sticking with plastic or even metal wheels. The hard part is to keep the rail clean of debri.
Here’s a link to a LR2 wheel that can be printed.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4124329

1 Like

I’ve been casually looking for the past year or so, and haven’t found wheels available in Aus for less than the price of a small country.

IU love the thought of printing them, but I’m not sure if I do at the same time. :rofl:

So as always when faced with a problem, I’ll do something else till it works itself out!