China Sourced Primo build in NZ

Ok, i said i would wait and get a job before starting my build, but i have so much time to print now that i’m home 24/7!

So, i’m starting a list, checking it twice and will start printing and procuring parts…
I have a lowrider already that i use for BIG things, but i really want to make that even bigger and hide it in the ceiling and have an MPCNC for ‘day to day’ tasks.

I self sourced the lowrider, and will do the same for the Primo. I also provided Aliexpress links then and will do the same now :slight_smile:
I will also put in a link to donate to Ryan if you decide to use my links and sell source, and i will throw a few bucks his way also.

Anywho, PARTS LIST! Most of this is stuff i used for my lowrider, and am very happy with, so will use the same sellers/links again!
PLA in tons of colours!
17HS8401 Steppers 78Oz-in
GT2-10 Belt
16T W10 B5 Pulley
20T W10 B5 without T Idler
6A 24V PSU
608-2RS Bearings they even colour match :wink:
300mm Pitch 2mm Lead 8mm Leadscrew
5x8 coupler
Silicone Lube
SKR 1.4 with TMC2209 drivers I just like the SKR over the rambo etc. Personal preference!

Other stuff;
LCD, TFT or the older 128x64 LCD, pick your poison…
12864 LCD the original
TFT35 LCD replaces original screen and should hopefully fit the same case
WiFi Module add easy wifi jogging to the CNC. This plugs into the SKR1.4 or the TFT35 LCD

Motor cables, i will make my own, but there are some premade ones too
6mm and 10mm Braid to pretty uyp the build
Premade Cables 2m and 1m cables to shorten/lenghten as needed, or use as is. These have the right plugs for the SKR and the steppers. You may have to swap a couple pins over though from memory.
DIY JST XH 6Pin
DIY JST XH Kit Has 4 way for motor cable and 3 and 2 for endstops and fans as well
DIY 4 core 22awg shielded cable shielded is harder to work with, but much better if you use it right
DIY 4 pin ribbon cable same as the premade cables if you dont want to deal with shielded cable

My total for the Components added up to ~$270 USD. Same stuff from Ryan direct is only ~$30 more, so buying from him would be the way to go if he has the stock and you are happy with his controller options etc! That way you supprt him, get all the stuff in one order, and dont have to wait for the slow boat from china!!!

If you source yourself, maybe throw him the $30 you saved as a thank you?

Donate Ryan/V1 HERE

I havent included hardware in that list, as its way cheaper for me to get that locally… so didnt get aliexpress links. If you’re in NZ, check out fasttrade! they have a killer website and fantastic service and great prices!
The M3s, M5s and M8s with locknuts in 304 STAINESS in 100 pack of each, is $42 USD. Actually cheaper than zinc, so why not :slight_smile: and getting 100 of each isnt a problem right? everyone loves some extra nuts and bolts!

I hope that lists helps some people, im putting it up to help keep a list for myself also so i can buy bits as money becomes available… No more job thanks to Covid with a baby on the way… yay!

1 Like

Here we go!
pulleys and bearings and wiring ordered!
I will use my spare SKR board for this build, and get steppers and power supply later…

And i might try out PETG? as i have 2 rolls of that in stock… Anyone have good/bad things to say about it? I have some PLA as well, so could do some parts PLA and some PETG if it works better for some?

Do the core in pla if you can, otherwise ad a couple extra perimeters.

1 Like

I think i have enough PLA to do a 4 colour machine hahaha
Will do some test prints in PETG and see how they come out size wise etc and use it for the feet and what not.
Might use the board for the CNC for the printer so i can get some silent printing done the next couple weeks haha

Hey there from The Tron :slight_smile:,

Just ordered a bunch of parts for my next 3d printer Saturday and figured I’d throw in the extras needed for a MPCNC while I was at it :smiley:, just need to grab the pulleys now (assumed they’d be the same but oh well spares :man_shrugging:).

Cheers for the suggestion of FastTrade for fasteners! Looks like I’ll probably use them for both builds :slight_smile:
Wish I knew about them (or even bothered to look in NZ for fasteners) for my first printer, would have been able to have it finished way sooner, rather than wait for them to show up from China!

What are you planning on using for the spindle? I’m still undecided there.

Hope the job situation changes for you soon man.

Hey man! I’m just from Taupo :slight_smile:
I found FastTrade looking for my Lowrider build and have used them for so many other things now! big fan!

Spindle, im not sure what will fit nicely. Im guessing the big makita i have in the Lowrider will be too big, but theres that 850W Ozito thing for $100 at bunnings that may be worth looking at? Not sure. Or the smaller Makita one, but thats 3x the price

Oh… I got given an old Wanhao Duplicator 4… So decided that needs a better controller, so ordered 2 more SKR 1.4s with 2209 drivers, as well as the steppers. So thats most of what i need for this build…
So that means ill be able to print the parts twice as fast once thats up and running haha

Yea, saw the Ozito one and thought about grabbing one, reviews sound a bit hit and miss quality wise however, I was thinking a Makita one or take a risk with an AliExpress spindle.
Guess I’ll see how I feel when the time comes to actually start putting things together, still a fair ways away from starting the build anyway :slight_smile: