Cincinnati LowRider2 Build

Just putting the finishing touches on my Lowrider2

• 50"x47.5" working area
  • SKR PRO1.2, 5X 2209 DRIVERS, TFT35 E3 V3

Reused existing table that was 51x51, added SuperStrut rails along sides to give additional travel in Y (now X), which also added an inch or so to X (now Y). Made custom belt holders for the SuperStrut

Created home switch holders that press into tubing ends:

Mounted aluminum angle in flat orientation to accomodate cable chain, created modified X Roller Assembly to attach the cable chain

Printed two supports to hold gantry up when power is removed. This lets me keep a tool mounted in the spindle, and prevents torquing the structure by uneven settling.

Limit switches and what they stop:
Xmin = X1 motor
Xmax = X2 motor
Ymin = Y Motor
Ymax = Touch Probe
Zmin = Z2 motor (see note)
Zmax = Z1 motor

Whenever homing is configured for the positive direction, the firmware automatically selects the ‘max’ end stop. My Z homing is in the positive direction so the firmware automatically chooses the Zmax end stop. I therefore configured ZMIN for the second Z motor.

Marlin uses the homing to establish the machine bounds. I also added a touch probe for setting the tool height. The only remaining end stop was Ymax.

I manually touch off my workpiece before the job using the TFT controls. Thus I added a “Probe Z” button to the home menu:

I also want to have the canned ‘custom’ GCODE routines accessible from the main menu, I thought ‘Actions’ was a better name for them:

To create a new button in the TFT firmware, I created an 95x95 pixel BMP and stored it in the TFT35 folder. I added a line to TFT/src/API/icon_list.inc with the base name of the new icon.

To define a new label for the icon, I added the base name in TFT/src/User/API/Language/Language.inc, then added that term to all of the language header files

Once the icon and label are created, they can replace items in the menus.

I put my changes up in a fork on github:

12 Likes

looks sharp. I live in Loveland. good to see someone close by. I like your Z support

Major props! I like the way you did your limit switch mounts and drag chain. I also like the Z Probe down button addition. Thanks for sharing.

What is the PVC cup holder for?

2 Likes

That was part of a keyboard/monitor stand from the table’s previous life.

2 Likes

I didn’t like how the TFT firmware would immediately start running gcode as soon as you touched the file!

So… I added a confirm dialog box…

I will push this up to my fork on GitHub.

1 Like

Did you share the STLs to custom 3D printed parts like the belt holders and other such?

I will! Here are two so far:

1. Thingiverse link to the Cable Chain mount that replaces one of the “X Roller Assembly”
    LowRider2 Cable Chain Mount by pilotkip - Thingiverse

2. Thingiverse link to the Rest Supports to support the carriage when power is removed:
    LowRider2 Rest Support by pilotkip - Thingiverse

More to come…

1 Like

Thanks, looking forward to the others!

Two more things!

My X and Z end stop holders.

And my SuperStrut belt tensioner

My two Y axis end stops are mounted on the YZ plate and bump the SuperStrut fixed-ends.

2 Likes

I changed my Touch Off buttons to ask for the new value, allowing touching off to non-zero locations.
I also added the current tool coordinates to the status bar to immediately see the effect of touching off.

2 Likes

Hey can you help me know how to use the ‘z rail slider’? I’m not getting a picture in my mind of how it fits in.

Certainly! What I found was that the metal z-axis tubing would draw across the metal superstrut like a violin bow and cause a horrific screeching noise! I designed those sliders to put 1mm of plastic between the two. It slides loosely in the superstrut slot, and loosely cups the z-axis rails:
Photo Mar 12, 8 45 19 AM

1 Like

OK, Thank you so much!