CNC Newbie - EstlCAM for CAM, ? for 3D Modeling

I’m new to CNC. I’m a programmer not a machinist. I took AutoCAD classes a few decades ago. More recently I modeled and built a patio cover, see below, in Sketch Up. No CAM at all.

Prior to building my MPCNC the most complicated thing I built was a peristaltic dosing pump. I used conventional milling techniques, i.e. no CNC.

I intend to use my MPCNC and Ender 5 3D printer to build complicated things like drones. I will probably build a low rider and mill larger things like furniture too.

It seems like the consensus is that CAM newbies should start with EstlCAM.

What 3D modeling software should I pair with EstlCAM?

1 Like

There are lots of options. It all depends on your level of experience with CAD, the precision you need with your models, and your willingness to pull out your own fingernails.

Personally, I use Gimp and Inkscape to do 2D cuts and carves (signs, flat cutouts, etc) and Fusion360 to do precision 2d cuts as well as 3d modeling.

Fusion360 can be used free of charge if you get one of the startup or personal licenses, but be forewarned, it has a STEEP learning curve, and you WILL get frustrated. If you watch a lot of walkthrough videos and read a lot of forums though, you can get the hang of it fairly quickly.

1 Like

You can use anything that can output either a dxf or svg file for 2d cuts.

If you can produce a STL, then you can ESTLCam can do 3d carves.

I use OnShape.com. It is free if you are a hobbyist, and you are ok with your designs being public.

You can do lots of 3D stuff, and it is made by the founder of solidworks. I have heard it is very solidworks like.

I usually make a sketch, and export them as dxf. You can also make a 3D model, then make a new sketch, trace what features you want, and export that as dxf.

1 Like

Is there a large library of designs on onshape? And if you have their hobbyist plan, can you view and use them?

1 Like

I haven’t messed with the library features.

Yes. Since the non-commercial use keeps all documents public, there are hundreds of thousands of models. I’ve learned a lot by deconstructing them or using an object to make case around it.

I found it much easier to learn than Fusion. It is excellent for doing 3D printing models. Downside is the CAM portion isn’t free. I use the extension Kiri:Moto slice for vectors/svgs and then bring them into EstlCAM for tool paths. I have done some work with the Kiri:Moto milling function, but don’t want to put the time in to use it fully.

There are a lot of extensions available for free to make certain features.

The parts I make are built up from 2D designs because I also have a laser, so flat surfaces work just fine.

Less easy if you want a curved groove/channel in the piece. Haven’t figured that out yet with EstlCAM.

The STLs are great to use.

I have been messing with Fusion because I want to use the CAM. It’s amazing. It is quite complex, but the granular control is absolutely perfect.

As a long time Linux user, I’ve been trying the free/open-source options. It’s probably been 10 years since I last ran Windows at home.

I’ve mostly been using FreeCAD for both 3d design and CAM. I’m using a TinyG to control my Lowrider and the LinuxCNC post-processor has been working great for me, but some posts to the FreeCAD forums indicate selecting the GRBL post-processor works with Marlin.

I’ve also just started playing with F-Engrave from “Scorchworks”, which is also open source and seems promising. I haven’t had a chance to actually cut anything with it yet, but I think it will do the V-carving/engraving operations that FreeCAD doesn’t (yet) support.

Both applications are available for Windows as well.

1 Like

I modeled lots of simple rectangular extrusions with harder placement in Sketch Up.

I watched a couple of the Fusion beginner tutorials and created a simple model. The difficulty is similar to Sketch Up. I think I’m OK with Fusion CAD. Time will tell.

I’m going to give Fusion CAM a try. My fall back position is Fusion modeling with EstlCAM.

Edit…
Been reading the forums this AM. It looks like I’ll be able to get better MPCNC advice if I start EstlCAM so that’s what I’m going to do.

Thanks All

As a programmer I might suggest you take a look at OpenSCAD. It is naturally parametric and supports subroutines (“modules”) so you can produce hierarchical models easily. If you have the formula for an involute gear tooth it is straightforward to type out the code to generate the corresponding polygon.

I don’t generally recommend OpenSCAD for non-programmers because it’s a new abstraction to learn on top of the modeling you’re trying to do, but if you’re comfortable in at least a few languages it should be a snap.

2 Likes

I’m barely comfortable with english…

I would be curious to see how you work well in that. I have designed a few things, and although it worked, CAD just feels like a mousing activity. But maybe seeing code from a programmer would make more sense to me.

I used to make animations in povray. I’ve never looked into openscad, but maybe I should.

I thoroughly enjoy programming and count myself as lucky to make a living at it.

But…

I build things to scratch an entirely different itch.