CNCjs, X-axis & Z-axis not moving

I’m new to the CNCjs software and trying out this project https://www.instructables.com/DIY-3D-Printed-Dremel-CNC/. I have copied the wiring of the cnc shield exactly as in instructable page. When I opened CNCjs software and attempted using the widgets to jog, the Y-axis worked perfectly but the X & Z axis did not move at all. I have been unable to find any tutorials on CNCjs, so would really appreciate some help.

I don’t know anything about CNCjs, nor GRBL, but I’d be testing hardware rather than software at this point.

• Make sure you’ve set the vref voltage on your stepper drivers. I’m assuming you are using A4988 drivers. The common version of these driver paired with common stepper motors will have a voltage setting of 0.5V to 0.7V. You will have to dig deeper to figure the correct vref voltage for your driver/stepper pair.
  • Swap your wiring between the working stepper and the non-working stepper. This will verify your wiring.
  • Swap your stepper driver between the working axis and the non-working axes. This will verify that you stepper drivers are all working.

Have tried swapping motors. All 4 motors and wirings are fine. As for Vref it would be around 0.8 since Imax for my motors are 2A and Rs of the A4988 is 0.05ohms

I haven’t had to troubleshoot any elements of cncjs, it all just worked. Do you have other control software that does move the other axes? Have you moved the drivers around to see if they might be the issue?

Make sure you’ve removed power from the controller before changing any driver or motor connections. The A 4988 drivers can fail quickly with no outward physical signs they are bad - no big sparks or leaking magic smoke.

Have you swapped the drivers in the sockets to verify the drivers are working? This would test Tom’s hypothesis.

just swapped drivers, now X & Z work but Y does not thnks for the suggestion Tom

1 Like