Converting from mpcnc to lowrider

If you are going to do casters I like the drop style as @ttraband recommends.

Affordable locking casters always seem to get stuck or break loose.

I use these:

I have them on my workbench and table saw.

1 Like

So Iā€™m finally getting back to this build.
I have everything printed and most everything assembled - I just donā€™t have the belts on yet.
I have been moving it back and forth freely and the X axis drifts as I push it along the table.

is this something that will be resolved as I get the belts on and are driven by the motors?

I want to make sure everything is resolved that can be before I get the belts on.

Made the first cut on my modified lowrider2 using the 3/4" EMT and a mount for the DW660ā€¦I donā€™t like it.

There are some ridgity issues, but not due to the plastic flexing, but the wood base plate is flexing. I think I have a solution for that though.

But that is not the reason I donā€™t like it.
with my MPCNC I was able to clearly see where my bit was centered before starting the cut. I would move the mill so the x,y,z was at the corner of my work piece. Because the mill is now below the base plate and using a short bit it is difficult to align it with the corner. This is probably not the correct work flow, but is what I used.

Another reason is that a the dust spreads out and was covering everything and was getting on the wheels. Not sure how much that will effect overall z height. this is probably a design flaw using the 660 and not having a good vacuum system set up for it.

And third, the way I have it designed the DW660 canā€™t be lowered enough for the mill to touch the table surface. probably OK though, I just need to add a 1/4" or 1/2" spoil board. Iā€™m assuming the 611 has adjustable height and can be lowered?

I think the biggest issue I have is not easily aligning the mill/router to the 0,0,0 of my work piece.
so before I fully throw in the towel and go back to the MPCNC, what do others do align the mill?
Maybe I just need to change my work flow

Iā€™m still in the building/planning process for my LR2, but some things are already in my workflow process which might help.

My work piece gets mounted to a table where I have a grid of hold-down holes. I also have some right angle fixtures which usually hold the origin corner. I know that from my home position, I have the workpiece at 10mm by 10mm, and can have the work origin at 100mm intervals from that location. (110, 210, 310, etc.) Might be more difficult to post-implement, but if youā€™re adding spoilboard, placed hold-downs are relatively easy to add.

For your case, Iā€™d probably change the carriage plate. Leave an opening where you are able to see the bit end. Looks like it could be a bit thicker, too. While youā€™re in there, you could change the modified Burly tool mount to go down another 1/2"-3/4" relative to the base, which would solve your other issue. Itā€™s a largeish re-print, but Iā€™d think worthwhile. If you have the opening enlarged a little so you can see the tool tip it will go a long way towards being able to find your workpiece origin, and even use a touchplate.

A good dust collection system seems more important to the LR2 because of the issue you describe. Iā€™m using a Makita RT0701C in my build. This is a variable height holder, though I can only barely get the collet even with the bottom of the plate, so Iā€™ll have a little less working depth than I did with the Primo. (This is with the air flow diverter which keeps the motor cooling air out of the work area, so dust collection can work.)

I donā€™t have a 660, so I canā€™t really help with dust collection solutions, but there did exist several solutions for the Burly, which you could probably adapt.

@SupraGuy thanks for the ideas. I like making a fixture that is 10x10 from the machine origin. The only issue with that is the LR2 can physically be shifted on the table which would then knock that out of whack. I supposed something could be printed that would guide the wheels into the same spot to ensure consistency.

I will look on thingyverse for some ideas. I do recall seeing them as well.

If others have thoughts or ideas I would love to hear them.

1 Like