Design - Build feedback

Hi

I’m just building my LR2 and have come across a slight problem with access to M4 nuts on the XZ Main to XZ &

XZ Side Belts bits.

I’m using M4 as specified as an option in the build lists but there is no room to get a small spanner on the Nylocs when tightening them (pics) - I have even printed one to try

[attachment file=97327] [attachment file=97328]

Across the flats of the nut is 7mm and the spanner I printed is 15mm wide at its widest (as seen in the pics)

Obviously, there’s ways around this in practice but just thought I’d give feedback for a future version.

Matt

Most of us just jam a flat screwdriver in there to lock it in place.

Yes! As I also did, but that wasn’t the reason for my posting the title, in part, it read 'Design… Feedback .

Most of you guys use probably using old imperial sizing - the rest of the world uses metric - I don’t know if these areas are perfectly sized for imperial nuts so this ‘problem’ didn’t present itself at I was just bringing it to the forums attention.

As an addendum to my original post the LR2 mount to 611 plate also has this ‘issue’

I’ve found the best method is to take a set of small vise grips and use it to hold the bolt at whatever 2 points you can get access too. A little clumsy, but it works.

A #6 nylon locknut is actually bigger than 7mm across flats, so it’s not really a matter of imperial vs metric measurements. I just used a pair of pliers, the slightly beefy needle nose ones.

1 Like

Most have to do it its seems whether or not we’re using either classic imperial or new fangled metric.

I think Ryan has chosen strength in the rigidity of the parts at the cost of this inconvenience.

2 Likes

Pre thread the nylon in the nyloc nuts and then assembly is much easier. Sometimes they’re quite tight initially.

Thanks, it is a known design choice, nothing to do with metric or imperial on the LR. I use a set of needle nose.

The choice is giant parts forever so everyone can use a spanner one time during assembly or nice small parts use needle nose/flat head once and be done with it. Using printed parts has a severe disadvantage to metal in this regard. These sorts of choices have to be made a lot during the design process. rigidity has to be had with the highest of priorities.

Dang it…old thread. My bad.

1 Like

Or, just use regular nuts, then hit the ends with some superglue.

1 Like

I actually thought about switching to regular nuts and including some loctite. So many people seem to have an issue with nylocks. Who knew!?

I would definitely not do the locktite. Just because I would be sure it wasn’t the last time I installed them. But I guess at that point, it is my own fault.

Yeah, deep down I hope that would cause more issues than nylocks…but you never know.

The best solution is to pre-thread the nylon in the nyloc nuts. The first time a screw goes in it’s cutting its own threads… which is hard if the nut isn’t solidly locked in. Pre-threaded nyloc nuts are so much easier to install.