Do I need endstop switches?

Ordered the kit from Ryan here, got the SKR board and series wiring harness, but no endstop switches? saw a note somewhere they’re optional? How am I supposed to home the machine, etc without them? I’m really confused.

A lot of us don’t bother homing our machines. We set 0,0,0 to a corner of the workpiece by manually moving the machine to that position and then sending a Gcode command to tell it that’s the ‘home’. Then all of the cuts are referenced from that point.

The only thing the dual endstops helps with on the MPCNC is helping to set the squareness of the gantry.

2 Likes

gotcha. thanks David! it’s been a few years since I was around the machine at the local makerspace. it was some diy build from plans and ran on LinuxCNC. experience was less than optimal, to say the least.

I used my Lowrider for a year before wiring up the endstops.

Yesterday I wired up dual-X and dual-Z endstops. I’m hoping for better squaring and spending less time measuring the height at each end of my Z.

They are a good aid in squaring x and y. My burly was very sloppy and endstops made it usable. Have implemented them when I rebuilt it as a primo. It is a positive and, at least for me, a good choice.

It also depends on how you want to work with your machine, and what you want to do.
If you did art pieces for money, made from say driftwood and would like to place some bolts or permanent fixtures somewhere, use some point on the fixtures as your work origin, instead of an origin on the part (need to have fixture in CAM), maybe because you have stock material with changeing shape and don’t want to touch off every time… Then it’s really nice to have. :blush:

Or if you’d like to use autosquaring:

But other than that: Nah… As the others said :slight_smile:

EDIT: I see, my thread linking skills are lacking… just look at the threads if you’re interested ^^