Drag knife holder for v1 Makita mount

Before I spend the time designing something myself I thought I would ask if anybody has made a drag knife holder that fits into the Makita mount from the V1 tool mounts collection?

I’ve had a search on Thingiverse but the couple of models I found have the bottom Makita mount upside down.

Thanks

I plan on using the pen holder that I made for mine. It’s intended to use the Makita clamp base, but should also work for the V1 Primo mount, since it emulates the router barrel.

3 Likes

Couldn’t find anything that fit my needs perfectly so decided to design my own solution. It can hold the drag knife and a pen using an adaptor I designed. Also keeps everything centered in the mount.

Will get a couple pics of it in use tomorrow.

3 Likes

Not yet used it fully yet but did a full test fit and everything looks good.

Holder fitted with drag knife installed.

Ped adaptor

Holder fitted with pen adaptor fitted.

Parts.

So now I can swap between knife, pen and router without having to change the mount and everything lines up so can use the same alignment grid.

4 Likes

@gforce2010 how did the new mount work out? Would you be interested in sharing the design?

Done a few more cuts and seems to be working well.

I will upload to Thingiverse in the next couple of days.

I didn’t get my knife from Ryan but the one I have looks the same. I will include a small test piece that you can print to check the fit of the knife before printing the whole mount.

2 Likes

I made a pen/vinyl cutter holder to go inside the makita mount. It’s a super easy concept based on Ryans mount, but it works suprisingly well:

I can share the STL if anyone wants.

8 Likes

If you can share it that would be good. I may as well add it to my collection of pen holders to try when I discover why everyone is centre mounting them!

I printed Dan’s version to use on my LR2, then realised that the easiest place to store the router when it is not in use is in its spot in the machine!

Is there any real benefit in keeping everything centred?

If there is, then my own LR version is a fail! :smiley:

Mine used the standard vac mounting bolt on the LowRider and can be found here - it’s untested at the moment, but is also entirely based on Ryan’s version so have every confidence that it will be fine.

2 Likes

That is a nice looking mount. I like the little V groove to make the sides match up.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if it matters where the pen tip is within the makita mount, centered or not.

My reasons for making this pen holder is that the makita mount is super simple, yet stable. It’s easy to unscrew the makita and insert other things with the same diameter.

1 Like

The reason I decided to keep everything centered is so everything had the exact same offset. I have easily been able to use my pen to draw out a grid on my spoil board that exactly matched the same positions when using my router. I could easily draw a pattern on a piece of stock then cut it out with the router without having to worry about calculating the correct work offsets etc. I can then do the same when I get round to adding a laser engraver.

3 Likes

Thanks for that. Luckily I have printed a couple of Makita versions that I can use centred for that purpose :smiley: - I like the thought of drawing a grid, was going to use the router for that.

That’s the trouble with making decisions with zero experience - but that’s also the reason that for now I’m happy to be able to watch the pen stuck out in the open as it is.

Oh excellent point with the laser!

I recently downloaded your files and printed them off… waiting on spring to arrive (no local hardware store had anything close to the 5/8” spring called for. Can’t wait to start cutting vinyl. Hopes are high as the router cuts have been spot on. Thank you for your effort.

The knife that fits your jig is approx 11mm wide. The one Ryan sent us is approx 13.9mm wide. There are an abundant of 11-12mm wide drag knives on the amazon that should fit. Will report back the exact one saving one from having to alter your files.

1 Like

care to remix one to Kobalt 65.75mm??

Neat, is it on Thingiverse? Darn it, saw it a few comments down.

Sorry/Thank you!

I have both a vinyl cutter and a pen holder variant. The pen holder has room for screws to fasten the pen, and the vinyl cutter is based more closely on Ryans model. Which one of the usages do you need?

Vinyl cutter as i can use it for both. :wink:

Looking at the model - it is only 0.75mm too small to fit the Kobalt mounts. To save us all time, I suggest you print this model, and shim with some elctric tape! :smiley:

The original pen mount is lost, I only have a more modified model in my tinkercad pile of things:

1 Like