Dune part two

Any Dune fans here? Saw Dune part two last night. All I can say is :smiling_face_with_tear::drooling_face:

In the books I’m currently at book 5. It’s soooo weird and far out by this point, but I can’t stop reading - I’m hooked on the spice and the universe building.

3 Likes

Yes just rewatched dune on netflix last night!!! I was a fan on the otiginal, but i am getting old!

3 Likes

I watched nearly all adaptions of Dune and read the first book when I was 12. I am really looking forward to the second part of the new trilogy.
I also have all of the books on my bookshelf, gathering dust. I really, really need the time to read them. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m a fan. I played the RTS game as a kid mining spice and fighting as the different houses. I thought the last movie that came out was well done and enjoyed it and I’m looking forward to viewing the new one.

3 Likes

I find The Dune universe and the saga narrative hundred times more complex and intellectually interesting than the typical Star Wars story. Star Wars compared to Dune feels like what the Hobbit is to The Saga of the Ring. The amalgamation of religion, politics, relational and intrapsychich drama is phenomenal.

Being hyped as I am - I’m still doubting whether I actually would recommend the Dune books series! They get more and more speculative and wild as the story develops. Imagine an Godlike emperor half worm half human, that rules the whole galaxy for thousands of years. This worm-man-God weilds a ferverous army of religious lesbian warriors. That’s just one of many far fetched plots. It still fascinates me, all the questions on free will, power and leadership, loyalty and rebellion. I think the spice is ment to mirror humanity’s dependency on oil.

I think Villeneuve can make a great triology out of book 1 and 2. The ending of book 2 is very anti-climatic and ambigious, so I wonder how it’ll look like on screen. The ending of film “Dune part two” left out questions that are answered in the book - so it’s obvious that film 3 is necessary to round of the different story archs.

I love the brutalist style of Villeneuve. The imagery, sounds, landscapes, it’s all so massive and intense. Feels like a workout going to the cinema!

I watched the first movie. I’m looking forward to the second. I don’t tend to go to theaters very much anymore, so will wait for it to be streamed somewhere.

1 Like

I’m the same for many films, but I think Denis Villeneuve is someone that deserves the big theatres. The intensity of his movies are an experience of its own. I read in a Reddit thread that some people watched Blade Runner 2049 MANY times in the theatres. I really liked the idea, but I was too late, it was taken off when I realised that it’s not unheard of seeing the same movie several times :innocent:

The last movie I saw in the theater was Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3. The only reason I went to see it in the theater is they had it in 3d and my son asked to go see it.

1 Like

Going to see it this weekend, can’t wait.

1 Like

I havent been in a theater even before covid. I love watching at home! Right now i am waiting on BeeKeeper to drop in price. They still want 20 usd to rent!

I haven’t been to a movie theatre in at least 15 years. I think the last movie I saw was Full Metal Village (2006) - IMDb, a movie about Wacken, the village where the Wacken Open Air takes place. Went to the cinema with two buddies (little indie cinema) and the cashier was like: “Three tickets for Full Metal Village, right?”. Stereotypes… Just because all of us wore black and had long hair and stuff. :smiley:

Thinking about it, no, I lied. I saw “Fack Ju Göhte” (one of the better German comedies, as a teacher it’s gold) and “Frozen” back in Bochum. Hmm. Whoops. :smiley:

That title!!!

Lol i may have misread it and it brought a smile

Which one? There were like, at least two that might be odd. :smiley:

Fack Ju Göhte features a criminal who stumbles into being a teacher and all the students are like, shitty brats and don’t want to go to school and he connects with them because he is like them. Sounds lame, is funny. The sequels were a little ehm.

Yeah i read that one differently at first change the a to u and ju to you! :wink:

That’s the joke. It stands for how stupid those kids are that they can’t speak English properly.

1 Like

The books have so many great quotes. One I use at the end of presentations to emphasise that not every project goes to plan;

“Show me a completely smooth operation and I’ll show you someone who’s covering mistakes. Real boats rock.”

― Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

1 Like