Dust Shoe Prototype

Been fiddling around with Fusion 360 (amateur) and have come up with this model for a brush style dust shoe for the lowrider 2.

Seems to be OK.

Runnng the latest iteration on the Prusa now to see if I have missed a couple of boltheads on the 611 plate.

It has been a clumsy sort of journey with about a million sketches etc in the model but it looks like it might be ok. First one did not work as the ebay brushes were too stiff and would not bend. So redid at 30 deg to the vertical and now they seem fine.

Would you all critique it and give me some tips on what you would do to make it better?

I have put the .STL files in a zip here too.

Cheers

Rob

Lowrider dust shoe prototype.zip (139.1 KB)

5 Likes

How does it perform, Rob?

How does it handle the bristles on plunges? I have something similar for a prototype, happy colors though :grin:

2 Likes

I assume you need to use long bits to make full depth cuts? Looks like it is pretty ‘tall’ under the plate.

The flaring out is nice and probably helps squish the brush.

1 Like

Version one had the bristles vertical and was absolutely hopeless for that reason. Did not think of that at the time.

So version 2 has the bristles at 30 deg and it seems fine. 45 deg might be better but suspect it is more to do with the amount of bristles.

I have only done one small run with it as working all this week. But it was fine. Have just hit the bristles with the scissors and that has softened it up a bit. What would be good would be a softer/thinner roll of bristles but that is all i could see on ebay.

Here are some shots that I took yesterday.

Key thing was… no sawdust on the table. I was quite surprised at how well it worked to be honest.

I have added a couple of tabs under the middle as it was bulging down a couple of mm off the base of the 611 plate. Can put a couple of self tappers through there.

I have also left the holes at the ends to allow for the stepper bolt heads coming through a bit on the small side so you can just drill out the chamfer shape with a drill / countersinker to get the thing to sit flat against the 611 plate.

Have put the new .STL here as well.

LOWRIDER DUST SHOE PROTOTYPE VS 2.zip (139.1 KB)

Trimmed the bristles with the scissors and note the table on a base with wheels now. That has been so good. Not an easy job but was worth it

3 Likes

It really looks the part Rob! If you want to fiddle with different brushes (you may have come across some of their product on eBay - try this mob: https://www.busybee.com.au

They have some interesting stuff that isn’t just router related!

my is also ready… i use a table cloth (pvc)

i had tried also a version with this brushes, but in my was it too hard

2 Likes

Very neat! When you say the brush was too hard, do you mean too stiff? ie not flexible enough?

Thanks,

P

exactly.

Aah, maybe I’m a little OCD over this, but I feel that the subject of stiff brushes is under rated in the cnc community lol. Seriously, I designed and tested a brush for my Colt using that common thick black stuff you get off Amazon. The brush material was really garbage… not adequately glued/bound so bristles were barely hanging on. That brush was WAAAAY too stiff IMHO… for an MPCNC anyways.

Luckily my wife likes the cnc as much as I do. When I mentioned ordering custom brushes from a machine vendor, she got crafty with an old broom, ribbon, and hotglue gun, and made me a really nice brush that squishes easily. The bristles she used are the wavy tapered kind you find on expensive push brooms. She used a dremel to cut them off the broom… was cool to watch her process of solving the problem of getting the bristles off the really well built broom head.

Anyhow, 3-cheers to the angled brush mount. I really like that.

2 Likes

I have taken the scissors to this bracket again and thinned it a little bit more on the corners, ie where it goes around a tight turn.

So far I have zero dust now. I could not be happier with it. Think I will print another one and set it up with a thinner crop of bristles again to use on thicker ply or even try some of the foam sheet again.

I had dust everywhere in my boatshed. I mean everywhere.

All good fun this stuff!

2 Likes

I am going to get one of those table cloths and try it out.

I am hoping you’ve saved me the need to build an enclosure! Time (and actually building the machine, will tell). If our borders remain open that drive south is on the cards in a month or two! ! :wink: