End stop questions ... maybe obvious

Hey all, I bought the Rambo and I’m gonna swap out my mini rambo so I can use the ends stops. Then later I’ll be building the LR2 (when my wife allows, too many projects) with the mini. Anyway i’m curious, does anyone have any advise on upgrading to the dual end stops? Also this may be obvious after using it but I am unsure how to do multiple day jobs as stated in the write up? How can I set it up for longer jobs? Do I just make different gcode files then it gives me a repeatable start? How does everyone determine where the material is in relation to the start with the end stops?Thanks in advance

With endstops you have to tell it where the material is, exactly. Are you sure you need to use them it adds complexity that most really don’t need to bother with.

Without them you secure the material move the endmill to it and hit start. With dual endstops you have to mount or locate your material as precisely as your job determines. Zero is always in the exact same place but typically your material is not, that is why we didn’t use them for years.

1 Like

So the reason I’m interested in using the end stops is to be able to do the jobs over a few days. I have a toddler and a newborn so my time is limited. I guess I’m just wondering if anyone has a good workflow they could share? Thanks

One you screw the job down and don’t move it you just make each session with the exact same zero point. No big deal. Not exactly sure how time and temp might effect that sort of precision but my guess is a 32nd of an inch wouldn’t be the end of the world for you…and that would probably be extreme.

1 Like

That’s how I do it. Home XY to zero, jog over to your starting point. Lower the bit to the work surface, write down your XY numbers(don’t forget this step!!), do a G92 X0 Y0 Z0, start your cut. When it’s time for a tool change or whatever, do that, then home XY, G0 Xnumber Ynumber F2000, move your new bit to the work surface, G92 X0 Y0 Z0, start your next cut. Give that Fnumber a sane speed, or you’ll be standing there waiting a long time for it to move over to your start position… I’m not saying this is the right way to do it, but it works for me, and has saved my bacon when I don’t use a good feed rate as long as it doesn’t ruin the piece. I almost always write down the numbers, just in case I need to start over.

1 Like