Entering bit into ESTLCAM

Can anyone explain how to enter this bit into ESTLCAM?

If you hover over the last few settings it has a popup of the dimensions it is looking for.

I’ve never figured out how to put those kinds of endmills in. Wonder if @christian-knuell monitors name drops?? :wink:

I thought it was tip angle and tip offset (little math involved but I just saw the formula posted again a week ago or so), is there something I am not seeing?

This was the previous discussion

https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/estlcam-and-new-v-bit-setup

I’d treat this bit as a shallow angled v-carve with an offset. The ball end is so small, it might as well be a v-carve.

Alternatively, if you know that your DOC is going to be very small (<1mm?) you can treat it as a 0.5mm ball end.

1 Like

It sure seems like it does when it comes to “real” issues or questions about Estlcam. Was pleasantly surprised at his responsiveness, and one of the reasons why I opted to register his program to support his efforts.

Right, but you can’t put that small of an angle into estlcam, unless I’m missing something. (probably math, I hate math…)

I only started liking math after I found out how much engineer’s make :slight_smile: but it’s a love-hate relationship.

I just tried entering a small angle into the tool list, it didn’t complain… unless I’m missing something as well.

I still hate it but maybe that’s because my boss doesn’t pay me well enough.

The angle might need to be subtracted from 90, I would have to look at the picture.

Bits like that (flat or radius tip) generally mean the given angle is of each side, so for ESTLcam, I would put it as a 10 degree ballnose bit. Since that bit is generally for 3d type carvings, it doesn’t really matter if it’s off by a fraction of a degree, unlike v carving. In the vectric stuff it has options for bits like that.

1 Like