ESTL issue when working with stl

Hi,

Finally finished building my MPCNC. I tried some manual cuts with estlcam no problem, but when trying to machine a simple half-sphere from foam, I fail.

If I’ve understood the mechanics of the issue correctly, it seems to me that the “layers” are correct, but that they’re somehow in reverse order. So when the cut starts, the first “layer” is fine.

For the second one however, the tool moves up instead of deeper to the material. It then executes the “layer” correctly, i.e. not reversed, in thin air

And so on.

Any thoughts?

P.S. sorry for any grammar stuff, not my first language.

Are you sure your MPCNC has Z positive going upwards? You might have the stepper wiring reversed.

2 Likes

Hi,

First off, sorry for replying late. They shut off travel to and from my province (I live in Finland), so I was preoccupied with making sure all my relatives were gonna be ok.

I thought this at first too, but realised that the layers were not mirrored.

The issue was with the “plunges”. The stepper for Z had too little current, so it jammed instead of plunging down. So the bit went up for the safety margin, stayed there instead of plunging back and repeated, thus creating “inverted, but not mirrored” cuts.

Thanks for your reply.

1 Like