Estlecam Carving slopes

I need to mill a channel for this power jack. The power jack has an octagonal profile. Is there a way to get estlecam to mill out 45* corners in a pocket so this jack would sit nicely? (With a flat bottom bit)

You can cad the hexagon, the make a hole path. Then select the overcut and click each corner. It will be slightly oversized, but as small as possible.

Also, what is this project?

:thinking:

I’m not sure I follow. I’m trying to pocket out a channel for the power plug to sit in horizontally, oriented like in the photo. I think you mean to use drilling operations?

I saw these “friendship lamps” in a magazine the other day. Thought it would be an easy diy projects for Christmas gifts.

https://www.uncommongoods.com/product/long-distance-friendship-lamp-wood

Oh, I see. I didn’t realize you wanted it flat. The easiest thing is just a channel the width of the flat to flat distance. If you need it angled, you need an stl and you need to do a 3d operation.

Can estlecam handle the 3d operation?

Yep. Here is a video from an old version:

2 Likes

Oh awesome, thanks! It’s all been dxf work before this point so I didn’t realize estlecam handled this.

my question is. how can you position the stl file after importing into estlcam. i am wanting to carve an image into a piece of wood something like the attached picture for instance. but i can’t seem to be able to move the object to where it will not be right on the x/y zero points. so therefor it wouldn’t create the “border” so to speak around the outside.

I’d mill the flat part and rough out the rest with a flat bottom mill… Then get a 45 degree V-bit to mill the two angled parts.

Cant you still move the origin? I haven’t tried 3D