Firmware Choice Clarification Needed

So I am finishing up my build of the LR2 in Central NY. I originally purchased the MPCNC kit with series wiring but never got around to completing it. I have since purchased the LR2 hardware upgrade kit with the dual endstop wiring kit.

I and am doing my original testing of motor direction and leveling with the series wiring kit from the original purchase as shown in the pic and assume that my board was flashed from V1 Engineering with the standard firmware. I want to move fairly quickly to the dual endstop setup however.

So here is my actual question: What is the difference between the two dual endstop firmware choices listed on the V1 Engineering GitHub?
V1CNC_Rambo_Dual-2.0.7.2-src.zip vs. the V1CNC_Rambo_DualLR-2.0.7.2-src.zip

1 Like

V1CNC_Rambo_DualLR-2.0.7.2-src.zip is the one you want for the LowRider. The other one is used for the MPCNC. I don’t know all the differences between the two, but for example the LR version has the support for squaring the dual stepper Z axis.

Dual LR is for the low rider and the second Z is configured for E1.

Because the low rider likes to fall on its own, and the weight of the gantry could smash the endstops, we also configured it to home up.

But we still want to use a touch plate, do we enabled probing and you can use a probe to set the Z while moving down with G38.2.

Good looking build, BTW

Thanks @robertbu for the quick response. I had a feeling that might be the case. I appreciate the clarification.

OMG, I’m feeling pretty foolish. I was thinking LR was calling our Left / Right or something!

LR, LowRider, of course. Sorry guys.

Thanks to you as well @jeffeb3. So I think my assumption about what firmware came on the board was wrong and I think the board came with the Dual Endstop firmware pre-flashed.

When I power it up it reads V1 Engineering 414D Bugfix 2.0.
Do you think that is that current enough to stick with or should I flash up to the current version, and how can I compare the firmware version with the current one on GitHub.

Thanks for the kind words on the build. There are more things I want to do but I’ve been waiting a long time to make a mess with it so there’ll be time for more upgrades…

Also sorry about the repeated replies. Still learning the ropes and etiquette for the forum.

The D means it is dual endstop, but version 414 didn’t have a version for the low rider, so that won’t work.

Just to make this clear (a lot of people make this mistake), the second port labeled “Z” is not too be used.

The 509 version dual LR is what you want. Or the 509 serial.

OK, so I’m getting SOOO close…

• All endstops reporting correctly when triggered
  • Homing X results in Z homing in Negative direction (down)
  • Homing Y ALSO results in Z homing in Negative direction (down)
  • Homing Z works correctly

Can you point me to whatever firmware tweaks I might need to do or offer suggestions as to how to resolve?

Thanks for all your help to this point.
Getting there…

Well, that doesn’t make much sense.

When you jog does the Z+ go up or down?

Sorry for the delay Jeff, had to go to work. Darned work just always gets in the way of fun ya know…

So, yes everything jogs in the correct direction using Repetier-Host buttons. I think it may be set to inches though as I was looking for mm based movements but I think it is moving in 1/10s of inches, but everything moves in correct direction.

The X, Y & Y2 and Z & Z2 endstops are reporting correctly when triggered using M119 also.

When I home Z, it works fine (even in the positive up direction) but I have to kill switch it on the other two homing actions as they are moving the wrong axes.

BTW, I’m not sure if I’m replying to individuals in this post or the root post, but I’d be happy to get input from anyone out there.
Thanks all, @tracyofleming

The behavior is very strange. How/where are you triggering the homing function: LCD, Repetier-Host, Other? I see you are using Repetier-Host. If you have a display, how about trigging the homing using the V1 Custom menu. If you don’t have a display, how about sending the homing commands using a G28 g-code.

If you click on the Reply within a post, you are replying to the individual. The large red Reply arrow replies to the original post. But everything you post is public and can be read by anyone. Replying to an individual poster means 1) they will get an email if they are setup for it, 2) the reply will be listed in their notifications, and 3) if your reply is not adjacent to the post you are replying to, the forum software links them up. For example, see the arrow and your id in the upper right of this post.

Thank you for that @robertbu! Great suggestions! I do have the LCD screen and it jogs all axes perfectly. I can’t believe I didn’t think of trying it from there. Being a bit timid as I don’t want the thing to tear itself apart before I get a chance to send a job to it.

I can’t wait to get home from work and try both of those suggestions.

Once I get the system up and running solid I intend to add Octoprint and send files from there. I use Octoprint on all three of my 3D printers and love it. Hopefully it’s just something weird being sent from Repetier.

Thanks so much! this forum is awesome!

You know you can punt on the endstops and just have some fun drawing and cutting with your machine and deal with endstop problems another day. They are totally optional.

I do appreciate that Robert and will actually do that but if we ever get a chance to get to know each other you’ll see that I can be a bit obsessive and can’t let some things go. I’ve been in educational tech for like 100 years and refuse to be beaten by my tech.

To your point though @robertbu , it has been beating a bit of the fun out of it for me since I could be making chips, right?

Really looking forward to getting into it deeper and will be posting some build and progress pics/vids. BTW, is it possible/cool to post vids on this forum as well? …and one last question since you’re open to etiquette & how to questions for the forum, should I have been posting these endstop and firmware questions in the Troubleshooting thread of the LowRider forum?

Uploading videos here doesn’t really work b/c of the size limits, but posting them to another service and pasting links works.

A video or two would be helpful. This isn’t a common issue.

Will do Jeff. I’ll post them to YouTube and link them here.
Thanks,
tof

should I have been posting these endstop and firmware questions in the Troubleshooting thread of the LowRider forum?

That would have been the “right” way to do it. One topic, one problem. It makes it far better for others searching the forum to find answers for their question. It also makes it far more likely you will get answers. Someone looking at the newer questions would only have see a title about “Firmware Choice” and that it had already had a number of responses rather than a new question about endstops. With that said, no one will chastise you for doing it this way, especially if you are posting to your own topic.

Point taken. Thank you for the clarification. I’ll learn the ropes at some point. Maybe I’ll even get a chance to help someone else out along the way sometime. Let’s hope I get a firm enough grip on processes, hardware and software to feel that confident at some point.

Thanks again.