first 3d carve with the MPCNC

I have been playing around with different things in vcarve desktop. This is the first thing I have 3d cut with my MPCNC. Just scrap wood. The machine works so much better than I ever thought it would.

1 Like

3D carving impresses the crap outta me, watching all 3 axis move at the same time is pretty cool. I just did one in foam the other day, haven’t had time to make another yet.

Ya, this is pretty fun. I’m building a small blue tooth speaker. I think this is going to go in the front of it. I’ll post pics when done. It’s not going to be anything special. This is just a learning time (machine, software) for me.

Maybe this would be a good time to ask: how are you doing the modeling and generating the code to run? Pretty broad question, so I will try to explain.

Are you first getting the desired model by creating it within something like Fusion? Then do you export it as a dxf or something and send it to estlcam, or are you generating toolpaths in Fusion instead?

I just switched to estlcam from Fusion because I could never get the toolpaths figured out. It seemed to take way too much work to just open an svg or dxf image to plot. I can understand using it for the actual modeling process, but I haven’t gotten to the exporting part yet, as far as what would work best for estlcam.

You can import STLs right into estlcam:

That’s an older version, but similar principles are the same.

1 Like

I did this in VCARVE DESKTOP. I love the program. it does it all. I can draw up stuff or import, etc. I was tired of trying to learn 3 different programs to make something on my machine. I can pretty much do it all in vcarve. Ye,s it cost money to buy, but to me, it was well worth it. the learning curve is not as steep as the other way for me.

1 Like

Thank you. The video explains it pretty well. Now I just need to develop models.

Bill,

I just started with the trial version of vcarve desktop. What machine did you choose to get it to work with your mpcnc? I do not see it in the drop down.

Thank you,
Don

Don,

You need to add your own custom machine - and associate a Post Processor to it.

There are a couple here on the forum.

That makes sense. Thank you kcny. Now I’m comfortable pulling the plug and buying the full version of vcarve.

1 Like